Fora

WORDT DEEL VAN DE COMMUNITY
REGISTREERINLOGGEN

Battery life after 5 years - 2008 roadster

I'm close to buying a 2008 roadster. The car has 2500 miles. So not a lot of cycles in 5 years, which I'm not even sure is a good or a bad thing. Obviously the battery tech is at least 5 years old in the car, and warranty has expired or will expire soon. What kind of range loss can I expect with 5yr old batteries? Will I be able to drive the car for 1 or 2 years without having to replace the pack? Is looking at the range indication on visiting the vehicle enough? Probably not. Is there a battery test I can do?

This question must've been asked before, but after 20 minutes of browsing I wasn't able to find the post. My apologies for the possible double post.

Best,
Frank

hmm. my post disappeared, paste:

I'm close to buying a 2008 roadster. The car has 2500 miles. So not a lot of cycles in 5 years, which I'm not even sure is a good or a bad thing. Obviously the battery tech is at least 5 years old in the car, and warranty has expired or will expire soon. What kind of range loss can I expect with 5yr old batteries? Will I be able to drive the car for 1 or 2 years without having to replace the pack? Is looking at the range indication on visiting the vehicle enough? Probably not. Is there a battery test I can do?

This question must've been asked before, but after 20 minutes of browsing I wasn't able to find the post. My apologies for the possible double post.

Best,
Frank

Probably depends most on the ambient temperatures, especially how hot it gets. An owner in Alaska with 40K miles had lost perhaps 4-5 miles of range, by his best estimation. Trivial - in a cool climate. So heat probably has more impact than cycles or miles.

Check the ideal miles on the VDS. I would think anything about 170 would represent good battery health. After 4 years I normally see 177 miles on a standard charge. Some cars see as high as 185.

My roadster is 4 yrs old ~26k miles and get 174-178 miles on regular charge

My Roadster is 5 years old (only one month by me), 22k miles, gets 176 on regular charge.

Those are absolutely incredible numbers. A real nerve calmer for all the nervous EV early adopters, fans and wannabe's. Thanks for the great reports. Anyone else?

Wow great answers, thank you all so very much!!!!

2 yrs 9 months, 28,000 miles. I typically see 176-178 miles of range after a standard charge. It's been a gradual degradation of about 2.9%/yr since the vehicle was new. I have charts. :-)

@redsnapper;
is that 2.9%/yr. of the original, or cumulative (geometric)? I.e., 100 - 2.75 x 2.9 = 92.075%, or 100 x (0.971 ^ 2.75) = 92.226% ?

Depending on the kind of battery technology used, lifepo4 lithium battery cells are rated at 2000 cycles before they start to decrease in performance but some other lithium cells are rated at 800 to 1000 cycles. Lifepo4 cells are also considered more fire safe than lithium ion or lithium polymer. lifepo4 is slightly more heavier cells but is said to be less fire and explosion risk.

TM uses proprietary cells and thermal management to exceed those stats, and has never had a fire or explosion, even in crashes.

A "cycle" in a TM battery is around 200 miles average, so even 1,000 cycles is 200,000 miles "before they start to decrease in performance", by those figures.

By chance do you know about the Roadster battery survey underway by Ton Saxton? It is at PlugInAmerica.org http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/batteries/tesla-roadster/survey.php

More than 130 owners have reported capacity, age and mileage and it appears one should have 150 standard miles after 135,000 miles. Not to bad and remember in range mode you get an extra 45 miles on top of the stndard range.

I have 28500 miles, and am just down under 170 miles on standard charge. I live in a very hot climate (Central Valley California). It is plugged in continuously and is my daily driver.

I brought my Roadster in March 2011, has 2,2500 miles as of July 31st,2013. I get 173 to 178 on standard range.

22,500?

Bought in Feb., 2011 - about 12K miles: about 182 miles on a normal charge.

I bought my 2.0 , recently. It was manufactured in July 2009, has 18,000 miles and charges to 175-178 ideal miles in standard mode.

I have a 2010 Roadster #711 She has 8200 miles odo. and gets 185+ on Standard Charge. I live in Southern Ca. :) Keep on Charging!

X Deutschland Site Besuchen