Fora

WORDT DEEL VAN DE COMMUNITY
REGISTREERINLOGGEN

In Beijing 1.3 million applied for a number-plate in march 2013, and only 18,000 actually got one. But EV buyers will get it.

Today I watched a news-item on the English SKY news channel. It was about electric vehicles in China. Too few EV's are being sold there. To improve EV sales in China they have said that people who will buy an EV will immediately get a number-plate. Although people who want to buy an ICE vehicle will have to take part in some kind of a lottery in order to obtain a number-plate. And the government incentives for people who want to buy an EV are substantial (more than anywhere in the world). I believe they said that the Chinese government wants to have about 5 million EV's driving around in China in 2020. Things are moving in the right direction. Let's see how it goes. When is Tesla Motors going to open their shop in Beijing? Must be a matter of a few weeks now?

Interesting topic. If China says they want 5 million EV cars by 2020, I have no doubt they will do it. China literally needs projects to invest in.

Here's the SkyNews video. They mention one China EV manufacturer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DnQA69vwWc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Here's another China EV maker who has several models. Give Google translate a few extra seconds on the link.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2...

Finally, here's an article about China's Geely Auto (penny stock) and Kandi with lots of good info on China's sprouting EV program. China thought it through quite a bit. They have swappable battery option, where unused batteries feed energy back to the grid during the day. If you want to rent, they will have rentals from 1hr to monthly. Available at airports, no need to call a taxi. Carshare programs. In a 100 square meters, that's enough room to charge 300 EV's by building up smart garages. Etc, etc.

Looks like China will own the supercheap EV market. One thing I notice about China's public policy is it's holistic and smart versus a scatterbrained , vacillating, constantly changing, WWF approach of some other countries.

What would be the point of using unused batteries to feed the grid? They have to be charged by the grid in the first place. Any source you use to charge the batteries could be used to "charge" the grid directly.

When you have excess power on the grid the batteries charge, when you need more power than the powerplants can produce the batteries uncharge.

It's a standard buffering system only applied to the peak electrical grid demand. Bological organisms use it all the time to maintain stable, homeostatic ranges for various things so they do not wildly fluctuate; but, stay inside a well defined range.

For exa your body temperature, get too hot or cold and you die. Another example of a homeostatic buffering system is the carbon/oxygen level in your blood.

So what the Chinese are really doing is building a grid battery backup and storage system that also charges EV batteries; or, solving two problems with one solution. Very cool, synergistic. The forumn brain trust people here should incorporate more of that technique into their various solutions/ideas.

Generally people tend to "stove pipe" their solutions: every problem gets it very own solution. Like its a law or moral: no solution poligamy, only one problem and one solution can go together, and then they are married forever.

China will be very interesting market to watch. They are the worlds #1 oil importer. Can't afford to keep that status with the growing number of vehicles hitting the road and just overall prices going up. Not to mention air quality issues, etc...

By immediate necessity, they will go electric in a big way.

Will they accept Tesla and associated Elon Musk tech as a solution? If so, Elon holdings is extremely undervalued on the market right now.

Many countries are encouraging BEVs. Besides China, North European countries like UK, Scandinavia, etc. Everything from free charging, tax exemptions, tax credits, HOV lane use, etc.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/02/28/the-most-sh...

Google Mumbai smog, etc. Same view. Only a small percentage have autos. Imagine when the numbers double.

Unless you want to drive a golf cart, Tesla is only game in town.

Wonder what the potential market for MS is in Asia as a whole... 30k in 2014?

Well then they will have to open a shop there, so that the people can get to know Tesla first.

When is Tesla Motors going to open their shop in Beijing? Must be a matter of a few weeks now?

The registration advantage in Mainland China will be a big help for Tesla in the top end market, as there is no serious competition in BEV luxury market. Better yet if Tesla could get '888' in license plates for buyers (Chinese are VERY superstitious and the number '8' in Chinese sounds like 'rich' - the number '404' is super unlucky as it sounds like 'death and death')

I hope a multitude of crappy low end EVs do not tarnish the image of EVs there.

Looking at the dynamics there I would guestimate a soft landing of the economy there would make 2k units sold there looks doable in 2014. Wonder how many units sold will make a Tesla store breakeven???

@jk

I do not think it is that high due to cost and import tariffs, however 5k might be doable. Especially if the Model S sells well in Singapore and HK.

I believe that Elon Musk mentioned it when he was interviewed by Betty Liu of Bloomberg. In Asia he expected that there would be sold about 10,000 Tesla Model S EV's.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen