Fora

WORDT DEEL VAN DE COMMUNITY
REGISTREERINLOGGEN

Elon Musk's Hyperloop: It can never crash; it is immune to the weather; fast (about 1200 km/hr), Solar Energy storage, runs 24/7

The most extraordinary part for me is that Elon Musk actually teally thinks that this IS possible. And if this really can be realised, this will change the way of long distance travel forever.

Please share your view, idea, opinion, information etc. with all of us.

aw;
interesting, but 19km != 43 miles.

@ awootton

Interesting indeed.

Hyperloop
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Hyperloop is a hypothetical mode of high-speed transportation proposed by inventor and SpaceX founder Elon Musk. Musk has envisioned the system as a 'fifth mode' of transportation, an alternative to boats, planes, cars and trains.[1] The system would, in theory, be able to travel from downtown Los Angeles to downtown San Francisco in under 30 minutes.[2]

Musk first announced[when?] the Hyperloop at a PandoDaily event in Santa Monica, CA.[3] Details of the system are still emerging, and in September 2012, Musk likened the system to both a ground-based Concorde and a cross between a Concorde and a railgun, while noting that it has no need for rails.[3][4] Musk estimated the cost of the SF-LA Hyperloop would be about $6 billion, one tenth as costly as the proposed high speed rail serving those cities. He has revealed that it is not a vacuum tunnel.[5]
Quotes

This system I have in mind, how would you like something that can never crash, is immune to weather, it goes 3 or 4 times faster than the bullet train... it goes an average speed of twice what an aircraft would do. You would go from downtown LA to downtown San Francisco in under 30 minutes. It would cost you much less than an air ticket than any other mode of transport. I think we could actually make it self-powering if you put solar panels on it, you generate more power than you would consume in the system. There's a way to store the power so it would run 24/7 without using batteries. Yes, this is possible, absolutely. - Elon Musk, July 12, 2012

What you want is something that never crashes, that’s at least twice as fast as a plane, that’s solar powered and that leaves right when you arrive, so there is no waiting for a specific departure time,” Musk says. His friends claim he’s had a Hyperloop technological breakthrough over the summer. “I’d like to talk to the governor and president about it,” Musk continues. “Because the $60 billion bullet train they’re proposing in California would be the slowest bullet train in the world at the highest cost per mile. They’re going for records in all the wrong ways.” The cost of the SF-LA Hyperloop would be in the $6 billion range, he says - Sept 13, 2012 [6]

Yes, it will work. I believe Lego already implemented this technology on Mars in 2009:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL2448E3C0577CC28A&feature=player_det...

I was looking at Elon's tweeting history as a result of the new of his big tweet about Thursday (now postponed to next Thursday) and I came across a tweet from July 2012 about the hyperloop. He's been suggesting it for a while, now. In that tweet he says, no it's not a vacuum tube, so there goes by best guess. I have no idea. Just waiting for all the surprises... Elon, you make me feel like a kid on Xmas eve (but much more satisfying, of course).

Next Tuesday, not Thursday. Similar, but with more vowels.

Maybe Elon or someone read my post about the hyperloop in another thread where I suggest the pod you rent should allow you to carry your Tesla car in the front section (no fossil fuel cars allowed, because too dangerous: fumes and air pollution, flammable, toxic, etc...) so you can just conveniently drive off when you get to destination. Maybe the big announcement next Tuesday (thank you Brian H for the correction) will be that Tesla car will be hyperloop compatible... and a simultaneous release of the hyperloop details would be nice, to give it credibility.

Or maybe the electric plane? It's been in the "works" (back of Elon's brain) for some time.

It must be a capsule with a variable magnetic field contained in a very high pressure para-magnetic fluid with low viscosity and other special aerodynamic properties.

The high pressure of the fluid ensures stability and its specific para-magnetic properties allow for variable modification of the forces induced. Sort of like a mag-lev in a high pressure fluid with these para-magnetic properties properties.

Whether its a something more like a ferro-fluid or the para-magnetism of liquid oxygen I can't guess.

I just saw: "A conversation with Elon Musk" on YouTube.

In the last few minutes they talked about the Hyperloop.

After the earnings call of Q1 2013 in May, Elon Musk will reveal details about the Hyperloop.

You better watch it yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDwzmJpI4io

Around 43:20, 'not before' the earnings call. Evacuated tube? 'Something like that'.

I had an similar idea couple of years ago. I had a lot of dreamless nights about it. Mag-lev with three "rails" in "vacuum"(less than 0,3bar) tube. Fast, silent, safe, cost-effective, environmental friendly. But Elon talks about 1200km/h. I was thinking about something like 3000km/h it is limited on pressure in tube.
Some of my friends who I was talking about it tell me "When the electricity fails it will crash!" I said "No, if it has kinetic energy it could create magnetic field by itself generated current."
There could be used experience from German Transrapid and others.

@skgot

Funny, considering Elon's obsession with Mars...

I would love to visit Mars (or Antarctica) for an adventure but sure would not want to live there, I love palm trees and beaches, not freeze-dried wastelands...

Here's my best guess.

A closed looping tube with pressure differentials from one end to the other. If it is made of transparent material that can be dimmed, like Smart Glass, then several miles of one end can be made opaque, to block out the sun, while the other end stays transparent. The opaque end remains at equilibrium temp with outside, while the transparent end heats up creating a pressure differential. Then by doing this back and forth between the two ends, and with well calculated ventilation vents, you would establish a "wind cycle" within the tube, like that of an electric motor. You could maintain the "wind" moving perpetually this way while added solar panels could power wind generators to ad a "boost" to the system in bad weather and at night. This way the "pods" would travel with the air, so no air resistance, and it might not even need a track, if the tube is slightly oval, and certainly no complex and expensive mag-lev tracks.

www.anoldblackmarble.com

Whatever it is, Musk is well connected and so could probably arrange for a make a one-mile long test version, or even a scale model, and if it works and is cool and all then they will come. Needn't be all or nothing.

+1 Anoldblackmarlble

I wonder if tesla/spacex has some odd pending patents that could shed some light?

Will Elon Musk reveal some more info regarding the Hyperloop this evening (May 29th 2013) at the D11 Conference?

At the Khan Academy he then did actually say that he first wanted to make Tesla Motors profitable (which is a fact now), so I think it just might be possible that he will talk about it.

Any thoughts?

Musk describes Hyperloop as “a cross between a Concorde, a rail gun, and an air hockey table.”

Annoucement after June 20th Tesla annoucement.

From the D11 interview tonight

The "air hockey table" part is new, he did not mention that before. This should lead to new assumptions, I think.

Speed and air cushions are highly compatible.

We have waited for the Supercharger announcement, and the result is absolutely fantastic. It was a great Conference Call to listen to (actually it always is).

And in June or July we will know all about the Hyperloop as well. You know, I already do believe that the Hyperloop announcement is going to be super awesome as well. That's how much faith I have in Elon Musk.

Elon also said the Hyperloop would be fun to ride. I bet more fun to ride than the Space Mountain ride at Disneyland.

Why not build it? It's America's chance to best the bullet trains of Europe & Asia, and earn world wide prestige.

How about a starting a new company for building Hyperloops? Funding is not a problem any more for a man with such a track record.

this video talks about what the hyperloop could be http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=03kVU2FYl6U#!

Today we will know more about the Hyperloop.

What will the Alpha Design of the Hyperloop tell us?

This link seems to explain things http://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-hyperloop-plan-2013-8

I'm going to read the PDF word by word. He makes living so interesting and exciting.

First question: With only a partial atmosphere present how will passengers breath? Pressurized capsules?

Second: For whatever reason, if the capsule is stranded between stations how do you anticipate extricating the passengers? It appears that the close proximity of the doors to the inside of the tube will prevent this.

How about the corporate cargo biz to get the hyperloop started. I'm thinking FedEx might be interested in such a system, especially if it's cheaper than flying their overnight letters. They might even be willing to fund a commercial test version.

It also looks like you could get a fair amount of palletized cargo into the pods. Again if it's cheaper to ship, then corporations might be interested. Ditto for the Obama administration since it's a carbon free form of transportation.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen