Fora

WORDT DEEL VAN DE COMMUNITY
REGISTREERINLOGGEN

Model S Assault on Mt. Evans (Colorado) is set for June 8, 2013

Located in the front range West of Denver, Mt. Evans Scenic Byway is the highest paved road in North America begging to be assaulted by Tesla’s Model S owners. With the introduction of this awesome vehicle, I am organizing a Model S Road Rally for Saturday June 8, 2013 from Idaho Springs, CO (35 miles west of Denver) to the summit of Mt. Evans and back. The views along the highway are breathtaking, as is the elevation, which summits 14,256 feet above sea level. The spring flowers should be in bloom, as will be an abundance of wildlife, such as Mountain Goats and Bighorn Sheep.

We need to meet up around 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, June 8th, at the Clear Creek County Middle School parking lot toward the west end of Idaho Springs. This location is South of I-70 at Exit 240. Take the exit; turn South on Highway 103 toward Mt. Evans, and the Middle School driveway is a few hundred feet ahead on the right-hand side immediately past the Ranger Station and Visitor’s Center.

Please RSVP to Dennis Driscoll at dennis@wispertel.net (I just need to give the Park Service an estimate of the number of cars to anticipate)

Here is a flyer about the event with some pretty awesome photos, too.

http://www.esion.com/Files/Mt_Evans_Road_Rally.pdf

See you in June, Dennis

Liz G - I know the Comfort Inn at Evergreen Parkway accommodates pets. This is right off I-70, 15 minutes from the start in Idaho Springs, plus 5 minutes from my house in Evergreen. You can always grab some electrons at my place in a pinch, too.

http://www.comfortsuites.com/hotel-evergreen-colorado-CO129?sid=xHh-Mi.L...

Another nice pet friendly hotel is the Table Mountain Inn in Golden.

http://www.tablemountaininn.com/

Thanks for your help everyone. Look forward to meeting many of you in June.

Was wondering how many participants we have now.

Just confirming - my car arrived last week and I will be there! Can't wait. Hopefully the snow will have stopped by then. :-)

Welcome @wjbeals - also, please email me an RSVP and that way I can add you to the list for updated emails prior to the event.

@Liz G - we're still at 25 RSVPs, with a few tentative.

They way this spring is going I hope the road will be open by June! Getting another foot of snow tonight here is Evergreen. Ugh, let it be warm - for good.

This Walgreens in Evergreen has a free 30AMP charger:
https://plus.google.com/117983350637668627560

It is about 10-15 minutes from the start.

I am in Evergreen and you can charge at my place or at Walgreens two miles away. It is on the iPhone ap PlugShare. Please call in advance at 303-674-0475. I have a NEMA 14-50.

Rod in Evergreen, CO

rod;
All 25 drivers? ;)

I am in Evergreen too, close to that Walgreens. You can charge at my place if you give me a heads up on here. I have 1 Nema 6-50 currently and I may have a second one installed by then.
Rod - you must be the dark Tesla I have seen in Bergen.

David

If my S85 gets delivered by then, I will be attending !

Ok. Does anyone know how much juice it will take to get from Denver to Idaho Springs? Will I have enough charge (assuming max charge) to then get from Idaho Springs up Mt Evans or should I plan on charging somewhere close to Idaho Springs that morning?

Just trying to get prepared. Since I'm driving in and not familiar with Denver or how much range is lost driving in the mountains.

Thanks all

Liz

As a Colorado native I welcome everyone! Mount Evans is a very popular climb for both car enthusiasts, road bikers, runners (insane) and cyclists. If you are unfamiliar with mountain driving, watch for ascending and descending cyclists. They will be right in the road with you.

Enjoy your visit.

Mike

Envy you guys. I used to live in Boulder, now in Austin. Looks like the trip should be a piece of cake. Probably not for most ICE's though.

Have fun.

@ Liz G
It's about 120 miles round trip from Denver to Mt. Evans & back. About half the time you will be regenerating going down hill.

I will be coming from about 10 miles South of Denver & not planning on plugging in till I return home.

@ Liz G
I went up and down from Idaho Springs a few weeks ago and it was a net loss of about 10 rated miles because you regenerate all the way down. I couldn't go all the way up (the last 14 miles) because it is still closed with snow (it should open this weekend).

I drive down to Denver from that area regularly and you typically get a net gain of about 4-5 miles from top to bottom, but coming up you will lose about 20 extra miles from the rated miles. If I am at 180 rated miles coming up, it will be down to around 140-150 when I get to the top, because of the climb, or me passing tourists.

The good news for you is that you will get better regeneration going down than my car that is usually at a full charge when I head down. I am typically at the 92% charge going down so it will only try to regenerate to the standard charge amount (92%).

You should have way more than enough to get there, have fun, and get down with no issues. I use the cruise control coming down, set it 5-10 above the speed limit, does great on regenerating without me screwing it up. :)

--David

David;
What if the regen is "topped off"; do the brakes kick in to keep you from rolling downhill at terminal velocity?

Thanks for the advice. I will be arriving in Denver on Thursday staying thru Sunday. Any suggestions on sites I should see while I'm in town?

Can ICE cars go? I'd love to see a bunch of Teslas, and have never driven to Mt. Evans. I live in Colorado Springs, and can easily attend the rally in my Panoz. I could trail the group and have the attendees point to my exhaust pipe...

Just a thought - you should see if you can get media coverage for the rally. It would make a nice fluff piece for the green-aware TV stations we have in Colorado. Have a reporter/photographer ride in the lead car up the mountain and back. Demonstrate regen braking and the distance the car can go uncharged. They'd love to cover it, it gives them a timeless piece (i.e., not urgent TODAY) to run when they need fill material.

We have already RSVP'd and plan on going. We are 3 blocks from the Tesla Denver Service Center and if you need to top off, drop by. HPWC. See you there!

RNG

How many out-of-towners are coming?

I'm confirmed (coming from Stapleton).

@Panoz you can do the climb in my Model S

As organizer I say yes to ICE cars coming, but they have to drive way out front or off the back. :) Alternatively, you can drive up front, stage yourself at a pullout and take a ton a fantastic pictures of everybody coming up, then jump on the back of the Tesla train.

BTW - as of May 24th with all the RSVPs and a few pending I think we'll have 25-30 Model S and a few Roadsters, and possibly an ICE car or two. Although I bet the ICE drivers could hitchhike with an S owner, provided you do not drool on the leather, wood, or carbon fiber. The cloth or piano blank trim is okay to drool on, as far as I am concerned. ;(

BTW2 - I will have a demo CCI for folks to see, touch, perhaps even insert into you car to see how it looks/works. This demo is provided courtesy of the fabricator.

Velo1 my birthday is June 9 th if I can manage to get out there on the 7 th can I catch a ride with u in ur MS

I should have the first Performance Plus delivered to the Denver Service Center, for rent by June 8th.

It has been sitting in my garage for one week with 20 miles on her. I have a few things to finish up on and then she will be ready. Vin#10054 Grey/black/loaded

If you are interested in checking out the super performance of a P85+ and are in the Denver area, visit my developing website at supergreencarrental.com or bsbomber@comcast.net Thanks, Jim

I sure wish we could edit our posts to correct mistakes. I get so excited writing about the Tesla Model S. I just don't stop and think!

@Liz, I would love to be a passenger, but didn't want to impose on anyone. If you have a spot available, please send email to WHitchings.iPhone (at) Gmail.com. Sorry, I broke up my email to prevent bots from finding my address and sending spam. I am very interested in going along, will buy you lunch /meals!

JEALOUS I'm hugely jealous. I am currently in CO attending a wedding. Took our 2010 Acadia. (Where are the SCers?) Drove up into the mountains yesterday and could not help but think how much more enjoyable the trip would have been in the S. No engine straining, no gear shifting, no wide variance in speed. So I'm jealous.

I would love to join you but do not have the time to get my S to Denver from Omaha.

I hope you all have a great time. Please take pics and post.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen