Fora

WORDT DEEL VAN DE COMMUNITY
REGISTREERINLOGGEN

For the Tesla Gen III, what 100 new features would you like to imagine or see available ?

Teslarians, what futuristic, hitech, game changer, ultra green, uber-cool, alto safety, mass production friendly, cost reducing, profit increasing features should Tesla's next generation, Gen III, vehicle have ? Also include Model C, S & X.

Whether large or small, simple or complex, technical or not, what are your ideas ?

To get started, here are some thoughts:

1) Put see through glass Tesla Shield  
   on hood  made of painted glass. The
   shield and letter T are left clear glass 
   and shows off the frunk by day. At 
   night a Hue light , with millions of 
   color variations can can be turn on 
   inside the frunk to light up the shield 
   and T during night driving. 

http://www.meethue.com/en-US

2) Have detachable Household AC plug  
 battery  packs near base of seats  
 powered by solar panels on roof.

3) Anti crash system stops car from
  running into things. Qualifies for   
  insurance discount?

4) Retractable semi-opaque, tinted sun
 visors controlled by button on
 steering wheel similar to pulling down  
 a window shade electronically. It's 
 more functional because it allows the 
 driver to control visor on driver's 
 window, passenger window, and both 
 sides of the windshield. Could this be the world's best sun visor?

5) Have all wheels turn to 90 degrees,
  great for parallel parking. Have car
  capable of self parking.

6) Create @tesla/talk.car Internet
    extension  for car related services 
    only to compliment .com sites. 

The .car extensions have voice only interface, with limited button pushing similar to a radio, no texting except through voice to text.

7) Shape the red tail lights as close
  as possible to the Tesla T Logo.
  Red led lights across bumper under
  the plate spell out Tesla Motors EV
  and highlight when brakes applied.

8) Equip Gen III with two sliding doors
  or 4 regular doors. To create
  easier access the opening door
  includes 1/3 of the roof. Also press a
  button in the door jamb to slide the
  front seats forward.

A variation of this, have 1/3 strip of 
   roof retract toward the center of the 
   roof when you open the door.

9 ) NFD Near Field Discounts auction.
  Type in lunch etc. 5 miles distance, 
  2hrs for exa and nearby Merchants 
  continuously update bids against  
  each other on giving you    
  discounts for lunch.

10) KeyPay/CarPal digitized keychain 
      can be used to pay electronically, 
      and receits  are tagged& organized 
      into personal & business categories 
      for taxes. Syncs with smartphone 
      app and car consol to store info on the web.

11) Computerized self parking, both 
      back in and parallel .

"Engineers at Northwest University found that specially crafted graphene electrodes could allow a lithium-ion battery – like those found in your smartphone or Chevy Volt – to charge 10 times faster and hold 10 times more power."
I'd love to hear from Tesla on this....they make an extraordinary car and this improvement could give it a quantum leap forward in my opinion to help overcome gas/combustion dominance.
TJ
San Diego

Also, it would be nice if this cost less than 10X current batteries; i.e., $/kWh the same or less. Weight reduction is also a benefit, of course, and would enhance range all on its own...

Did they mention recharge cyles? The battery has to live long enough to justify its existence!

Aside from the quibbles, the prospect of a 2000-mile pack is enticing! But if you ran such a battery down, it would take all night on a SuperCharger to refill!!

Bsimoes,

Magic Sky glass car dome roof sounds great, need some info if the shade setting helps cool the car in summer which would help save a/c use and thus electricity in hot climes like Desert Springs, or Dallas etc. Mecedes is a Tesla partner & board member, so it might cost nothing to acquire.

Wonder if they could combine that with see through flexible solar on roof. Maybe they could partner with a University to keep research costs down on that.

Now to get these research goodies from partners like Daimler and Toyota I propose they do the following:
1) Arrange ahead of time to sell top line cars to Daimler/Toyota dealerships outside the U.S. where franchise
laws do not interfere. Let's say 20,000 cars each, six per dealership, Roadsters, Model S & Model X.
2) The catch is Daimler/Toyota only get cars when orders are slow. This keeps the Tesla factory humming at
full speed, maybe even allowing for expansion of the line.
A) In addition, they pay in advance to help cash flow.
B) In addition, they take the cars with the options Tesla wants to give them, to clear out Tesla's inventory,
like the plaid tweed seats sitting around for a year.
C). Another catch, the Daimler/Toyota dealers cannot take orders, just sell these few cars as is, for
impulse buys. If the buyer wants customized options and colors, they have to order online thru Tesla.
D) Car availability solely at the discretion of Tesla, and only in certain markets that Tesla specifies.
E). For the privilege of having a few of the best electric cars in the world sitting on their lots drawing in
customers Daimler/Toyota both pony up 250 million in advance, and give Tesla acces to new
technology like the magic sky dome glass roof.

Now it's a win/win situation. Tesla gets tremendous advertising from cars sitting on Daimler/Toyota dealerships around the world; but only outside the U.S. Tesla keeps their factories humming even if orders start slowing, they get cash infusions, the cars are not discounted to maintain Tesla's profit margins, so they will cost more, the only advantage is you can buy it the same day instead of ordering online and waiting. But if you do order online, the price is less and it's customizable; but you have to wait for delivery. For Daimler/Toyota they get the prestige of selling the hottest, most popular EV's in the world, but only as a same day impulse buy.

Notice I'm trying to pay for a my suggestions now, so it costs Tesla little or nothing; and in the best case Tesla even makes money in advance. I'll endeavor to keep doing that, to help cash flow and the ramping process at this critical expansion time. Expanding and creating profits is a tremoundously hard thing to do. Great comments Tesla Enthusists Design Team.

Brian H

"2000 mile pack...it would take all might on a supercharger to refill !!"

It sounds great, charge the car once a month!

But to charge the car quickly, it's time for the crayro-supercharger. They already move electrons ten times faster with high temperature super conductors , see electric cables produced by American Superconductor in link below.
(Ticker symbol is AMSC).

http://www.amsc.com/gridtec/superconductor_cable_systems.html

A Cyro supercharger could do the same, I know this is way out there , but as an imaginative possibility, an enclosed chamber around the electric car's battery could be gravity filled by the cyro-charger with liquid nitrogen to super cool the battery, then electrical resistance is greatly reduced, and the electrons can travel ten times faster into the battery. After charging, the liquid nitrogen is drained out the bottom and back into the cryro-charger. However it may all be for not if the lithium cannot absorb the electrons 10 times faster in a super cooled state. Good basic research question.

Again, perhaps to save money, partner with a University, to conserve research funds.

Looks like we need some ideas here, how about these:

1). Weather navigation , paid for by google maps research. Great for retired travelers 2 week car vacationers.
Basically the weather overlays your google maps trip. You can then run your trip forward at any given start
time and see how the weather affects the trip.

2). Model S Golfers' Edition & video. Show how the Model S can seat a Golfers' foursome, plus 4 really large
golf bags. Also included on the Dash screen:
A). Golfers app, shows all golf courses within range or along your trip, pointing out those with charging for
EV's. The app also allows you to send email requests for EV charging at your favorite golf courses that
dont have EV charging. Now stop and play 9 holes of golf in the middle of the day and still drive 400-
500 miles a day. Hotel charging at night.
B). Golfers' reverse auction app function. Golf app shows golf courses within range, you specify a date,
then the reverse auction golf app holds a continouse reverse auction between the golf courses for your
business. Golf courses are allowed to rebid lower/better offers as they see the other bids. Possible
funds for this provided by Google, EBay , or a startup or developer.

4). Here's a hard one to visualize, a special model S tailgate and roof version that slides up then down into the
car behind the front seats, this leaves half the curved tailgate up in the air acting like a giant airfoil. What this
does is create an airtight open air cargo bed sidewalls and the rear seats fold down to create an airtight cargo
bed floor.

This could create a cargo bed capable of hauling two motorbikes, or one ATV, a washer, etc with an air
foil in front of the cargo to cut down on air drag while driving with cargo. I believe this would be a totally
unique feature and could allow the model S to compete with suburbans, vans, even small pickup trucks. To
finance, partner with another company to developed this feature.

Not tea bags! Not sure about the Transformer Pickup, but who knows? And with the demographic Baby Boom Bulge now hitting retirement age, the Golfer focus sounds like a winner.

I'd like it to be simple, safe, reliable, fast, quiet, with great range, and exceptional looks.

I don't want fancy electronics (if it was up to me the dash would be analog), certainly no fancier than the Model S.

Having said that, advanced safety features are always welcome, as are energy savers such as vented seats.

I would also like to see, for all of Tesla, detailed material life-cycle information and tracking, starting with major components and eventually the whole car. That is, the company should gradually migrate to a cradle to cradle, closed cycle manufacturing model.

This would be truly advanced, gizmos are just sugar coating we all get tired of after the first few thousand miles.

And one more thing...

I think the center panel screen should swivel slightly. On the Model S it is tilted towards the driver some 10 degrees, but I think it should be possible for the screen to be tilted in the other direction as well, to facilitate use by the passenger.

So the driver can focus on driving while the passenger uses the Web or whatever to find a movie or restaurant or simply browse.

It would have three stops: driver, center, and passenger.

Brian H

We'll call number 4 the " Air Foil Cargo Bay Hatch". Car designers, I assume are always looking for ideas, this would make a good concept car prototype for Toyota/Daimler, who can pay the development costs. To help visualize more, the hatch/tailgate slides up while 2/3 rds of the roof rotates down into the car. Think of a reverse "r" , now rotate it a quarter turn to the left, now raise the flap for the air foil. Actually as I visualize it, it wouldn't look anything like a pickup, and the air foil in front of the cargo sticking up above rooftop height might actually look pretty cool.

As for golfers, I believe there are 300 golf courses in the Phoenix, Az area alone enough golfers to buy an entire years production of Model S's, enough said.

danielccc

Hey Daniel, like the suggestion on the tilting screen. And the life cycle Information and tracking would be a great way for Tesla to address in a formal way, peoples' concerns and deceptive criticism from non-sincere people with hidden agendas.

From my perspective the GenIII/ Bluestar/ "people car" is what the original Saturn should have been. (or rather, what I was expecting in a "different kind of company/different kind of car").

a) It should have lots of cup holders. (because people like to put a drink down.)
b) It should communicate like a 21st century automobile. It should talk to your house (wifi) and it should talk to your phone (bluetooth), but with subtle but effective advances. (such as options to display weather, news, social networking updates when you get in the car)
c) Head up display / Infrared vision / auto-drive type modes. These have been mentioned before and should be options for a 21st century vehicle. (and auto-drive is the adaptable cruise control, or even self-drive technology coming)
d) "borrow" electricity reducing technology, (as mentioned before) heated/cooled seats, Mercedes' SkyActive roof, Solar Panel roof to run climate controls, AirScarf tech for convertible.
e) (and getting more out there) - seats that turn for easy in/out. for a two-door coupe, add the third (and fourth?) mini swing doors, or just have full gull-wing.
f) Aim for 5 star safety, and add multiple exterior cameras to prevent crashes / parking guides/ replace review mirrors.
g) include screens on the rearview mirror area/build review camera screens into top of cockpit area / sun visor.
h) Use a type of window tinting technology on the windshield combined with driver observation to dim the setting sun. This would dim exactly the area of the windshield where the driver sees the sun. (driver observation similar to the technology that senses driver sleepiness by blinks and head nods)
i) Car personality. Yep, talking cars. They talk for GPS, so why not a conversational way to set windows, radio, climate, or to just ask the car how it's doing. (Think Jarvis from the Ironman movies, or even Siri on Apple).
j) Massaging chairs. Sure sure, you can buy an after-market one, but I want this car to take good care of me, be the ultimate driving machine, pride of the fleet.
i) adjusting colors on the outside. Start with the two-tones that you see (viewed as purple straight ahead, or green if the sun hits it right), or the color changes with brightness (gold in the day, black at night), or full on full spectrum color with tiny fiberoptics covering the car (or other method). Sure, it would the fiberoptics would be an energy drain, but each future enhancement would have challenges to overcome.

What SHOULD cars be in 20 years? in 50 years? It may not be doable today, but thank you for this forum which can bring the future thoughts to fruition sooner than later.
(and yes, I borrowed other companies' taglines, copyrighted and/or branded items in this post)

Keep in mind the GenIII is to be a cheaper family car. Cutting-edge tech is not cheap to develop or implement.

Forget the Solar Roof. For its cost, you could add many kWh battery capacity. Very poor value per dollar.

A Supersport AWD Version of the Model S. Dual Motors? 125 kWh battery for 0-60 in under 3 seconds and a top speed of 160 MPH.
400 Mile Range. I'll trade "top-end" for Distance without thinking twice. You don't need to beat Bugatti. Who cares about Bugatti? Just make a Model S that carries everyone comfortably and is faster, quicker, and handles better than a 2014 Corvette. (handling better than a Corvette? Well...the center of gravity is real low...but maybe that's a bit of a reach? But certainly an AWD "Model SS" (Supersport) that is under 3 seconds is very possible. As for 160 MPH? Well, I'd rather have 200 Mph, but I know there are tradeoffs, and I REALLY want a 400 Mile Range. Oh...and "something" (?wheels?) that tells the viewer that this is an SS. Badging? Badging is always fun...

Model SS "Sport Tuned Suspension", with "Regular", "Sport", "Track" and "Velcro" settings.

From Tesla Gear:
The "Go-Juicer"
A "portable" (carry in your trunk) Ultra Heavy Duty Device that splits into two parts:
Part "A" plugs into the female part of the car, and has a wireless receiver that synchronizes to (remote) Part "B".
Part "b' plugs into either a 110 or a 220 Volt outlet, and then, you just "Sync" the two, to transmit wirelessly for charging. (Welcome to the 21st Century version of "Gas Siphoning"!)

I like the $6000 Handling kit on the Roadster....Tesla should offer something similar for the regular Model S. The Model S handles GREAT, but seriously, let's tune it for the aftermarket...now that idea has "legs".

All vehicles plumbed for Laser Detectors and Jammers. Now, I know that Jammers are illegal...so just plumb the cars for it, and "under the table" refer us to the right place. (yep)

Tesla Branded Luggage > I suggest getting it from Saddleback Leather Company. They have the absolute BEST Leather Luggage in the world. Their motto is "They'll fight over it when you are dead". I do not work there, but I am a very loyal customer. Their stuff is AWESOME, and has a 100 Year Warranty. The stuff is indestructable.

You have the best car, but your shirts need work. Think "high-end" golf shirts. Tesla "unlimited power"

Just a random thought: You know those Highway Patrol electric guns that they fire onto some cars in some states to immediately short-circuit speeding cars so they just go dead and roll to a stop? I hope you have figured out that IF they fire one of those gizmos onto a tesla, it won't permanently fry the car.

A box with a plug. Owners keep plugged in it at home, or store it in the trunk. It is actually a portable 10 kWh Battery setup. If you are on the road and in the middle of "nowhere", you can just plug it into the main battery and your Tesla will go for another 35 miles?

You know the tesla coil that shoots out the purple sparks at night like an electrical storm gone crazy? When a Tesla owner drives by a gas station: It would be kind of fun to be able to push a button and it sends a few sparks to piss off the guys at the pump who are tired of paying $4 a gallon (ok, that may be stupid...I'm getting tired, goodnight.)

Honestly, rather than a bazillion options, I'd just like more standard equipment.

In the price category of the BlueStar, things like keyless entry and a moonroof are standard. As such, I hope that Tesla eventually makes the the Pano roof and the Tech Package as standard on all their vehicles.

Add to that, by 2015, I'd like to see them drop the 40KWh battery pack and go to 50, 75 and 100 as standard. The 75KWh and 100KWh battery packs would yield EPA rated ranges of 250 and 300miles respectively. The 50KWh and 75KWh battery packs would yield 200 miles and 300 miles of EPA rated range, respectively, on the Bluestar.

Beyond that, options I'd like to see:

1) Heads up display/augmented reality display. Helps to not take eyes off the road.

2) Driver assist technologies (lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, park assist)

3) Memory for seats

4) Ability for car to access WiFi on the go so it can run on a smartphone's hotspot.

See we got some more really good comments from the project team here on this thread, I encourage all ideas, no matter your perspective. Some love rich simplicity matched with awesome design work, others have classy option & cool tech desires, yet others creatie imaginative ideas. And let's not forget those who crave efficiency and cost savings, like the model S skateboard battery platform which gave the car many unique, previously unimagined benefits for EV's.

But at the same time, lets not hold back those ideas that swing for the fences, shoot for the moon, stars, and whatevever else is out there, even if these ideas are a little pricey, a cost/benefit analysis and cost re-invention can be done later. The skateboard platform was not cheap, but it led to many improvements/efficiencies/ & benefits. And to paraphrase Tesla Invester Larry Page of Google: " You should come up wirh some crazy ideas and try to develope them." I guess ideas like Chrome, free forever stored & searchable GoogleMail, Android free operating system, self driving cars, or even the platform battery, may have been considered crazy at some point by someone.

I'm sure Tesla and enthusiasts can appreciate all the ideas/feedback & response.
Feel free to repost ideas with connecting cross links from here for more in depth discussion/development elsewhere.

Now for an update, I'd guesstimate we now have 75 ideas more less, almost there. Feel free to develope any ideas here further with your response comments, few ideas are born full blown adults in their prime.

@holidayday@aol.com, super ideas, love the wireless chargers, that would also be great for condo and apartment dwellers.

Also the fluctuating paint color that changes from different viewpoints or reflections from green to purple. The GM Aurora had an iridescent white pearl paint that was also very nice. These colors work for signature/performance upgrades or more expensive models.

I also love the idea of the swivable chair for easy entry and exit. If I may add on, maybe this chair could electrically slide out of the car a little making it even easier.

Lastly, your Tesla Coil would be cool, maybe Westinghouse would pay the bill for it if their name was displayed on it. Or a variation, purple lightening bolts also appear as a heads up display on the side windows with the Westinghouse name also in purple. This would light up every time you activated the brakes or regen. And don't forget the NHTSA desired artificial noise, say thunder bolts and sizzling electricity when braking. When you hit the accelerator, the screaming sound of the Star Wars death star fighter jet.

Tesluthian;
Particularly like the chair ideas.

Edit: You're clearly obsessed with E-lectricity. The "E's" are trying to take over:
"Invester Larry Page of Google: " You should come up wirh [with] some crazy ideas and try to develope them"
investor
develop

;p

Simple; The range capabilities of the 85kw Model S at a Max. 30K price point with a reasonable compliment of "standard equipment" for comparable class ICE's around the same price point of 30K TOPS!

Superliner;
I believe the GenIII will be $30K like the MS is $60K: before options. Expect a loaded GenIII to reach $50K. It is the next larger tier of the marketplace, but is not "economy", though a Teslarumors.com/teslanomics style analysis of TCO would likely put it in competition with some, over 5-10 years.

Maybe there will be a GenIV, also with 200-400 mile range. And maybe the majors will have clued in by then.

Brian H

Dang, if I didn't forget to run spell check after my final additions/insertions, apologies , my bad.

As for electricity obsession, maybe that Nikola Tesla movie I just watched had some affect.

& Superliner,
I agree Gen III needs simplicity, less options, etc, in order to manufacture them faster and maintain the same profit percentage.

That's  because to maintain the same profit per hour on a $30k car manufacturing line as a $90k car line, the $30 k cars have to come off the assembly line three times faster. So to make the same yearly profit of 20,000 model S cars, the plant needs to manufacture 60,000 Gen III's in the same time frame with similar overhead.

Ideas to keep cost down and desire ravenous:

1) The majority of parts should also be the same as the model S, so it will look a lot like the model S, just as the model X does.

2) Make Gen III supercharger ready AND get sponsors for the supercharger stations to finance a second wave buildout to 1600 supercharger stations as researched here:

http://m.seekingalpha.com/article/1122181

A hundred or so sponsors like banks, utilities, supermarket chains etc should do it. A specific supercharger station sponsor example is FedEx. They get their name on supercharger stations under Tesla's. FedEx can put a FedEx mailbox there if they want. FedEx can post an EV friendly quote like, " FedEx saves 75% on local deliveries with our EV trucks."

3) No one is currently selling 60k mid range priced EV's a year because it is a weaker market right now for EV's.  So the Gen III needs fab features for exa: A convertible top option, is always a show stopper and shows off the interior of the car to bystanders

4) One good thing the model R and Model S did was to put to rest performance anxiety. Actually Tesla destroyed performance anxiety and miraculously turned it into performance euphoria, not even harsh critics question MS road performance. Now thats the way to solve a problem !

Tesla needs to do the same thing with range anxiety in their Gen III models. My opinion, range anxiety is similarly destroyed at 1000 miles per charge. This is currently not technically possible, but the first Gen III models need to take a step in that direction.

Here's one way. Elon is on record as saying a 500 mile battery is  feasible, just expensive. So Gen III should only have two battery sizes, 500 mile (80-100k), and 300 mile battery (40k).

The 300 mile battery version:
  a)  Comes standard with no option extras except the convertible option which is extra.
  b) The 17" screen is standard for appeal & parts compatibility with model S & X & other benefits.
  c). Includes 4 yr maintenance contract (1 free visit per yr).
  d). To reduce computer obsolescence anxiety, in the 4th year of the maintenance contract, you get free computer chips/processors upgrades installed.
  e)  There are only 4 color choices.
   f).  Supercharging included.

The 500 mile battery version:
  a). Convertible option is extra.
  b). Lots of options, many same as model S & X & are shared inventory items.
  c)   More color options are available.
  d) Has Signature & performance versions.

Superliner, I did not include other possible costs such as taxes, delivery and paperwork charges, extra charging cords/accessories costs. In 8 yrs after a 2015 Gen III purchase, figure you save $20k in fuel & maintenance costs. A new battery, probably costs $10k in 2023 for a net gain/savings of $10k. I also didn't figure in any federal or state tax credits.

This doesn't eliminate price anxiety but it's a small step in that direction and a big step on the road to eliminating range anxiety. To get to 1000 miles a charge battery will require some breakthroughs.

Finally, in the link I posted above, the author mentions Tesla getting to 5 million cars a year, to get there Tesla will have to build at least ten more factories, keep their cars insanely desirable, two & three times better than the competition, and do this across all price points while continuing to work on various  EV associated anxieties.

Tesluthian;
The current Supercharger business model does not use sponsors, or require them. Chargers are cheap, having hit the "economy of scale) threshold Elon speaks of, and Solar City handles the electricty swaps with the utilities. Further, the analysis showed that 100-200 stations made most long range routes available. The Seeking Alpha analysis covered every major highway in the country, which is unnecessary.

The additional market available with an expensive 100K car would not justify the use of expensive batteries. But their are developments in the pipeline which could achieve that, at reduced cost. It should be known in 3-5 yrs if they be feasible for mass manufacture; some may even be available, as they do not require new plant or chemistry. (The "banding" design, e.g.)

typo: "economies of scale" threshold ...

Another typo: 'But there are developments ...'

Argh. Yet another typo: "if they will be feasible ..."

{Edit function, please, mods & TM?}

Top 100 Features?
(There is no order to these, with the exception of the first 5)
1) Model SS AWD
2) 0-60 under 3 seconds
3) >400 Mi Range
4) Multiple sockets for plugging things into
5) Absolutely NO Governmental BS "We MUST Track you" garbage...just allow us to have our privacy.
6) After I buy my Tesla, I will have Custom FULL GRAIN Luggage to the car. Saddleback Luggage will make it as soon as I ask. I don't plan on ever selling the car, so I might as well make this car "as I want it".
6) Make the SS totally "road-worthy-independent" (in other words, providing extra plugs, offer us the opportunity to have some "devices" I think Tesla should focus more on the fact that this is an ELECTRIC CAR. So provide us with GIZMOS. ELECTRIC CAPABILITIES. Example: I am going to go on many road trips, and sometimes I will be with my wife on long-vacations. Let us not forget that travelling across America has really been hindered by $4.00/gallon gas. With my Tesla, going from El Dorado Hills in the am to lunch at Harris Ranch (and a full recharge), and then off to San Diego is VERY appealing. And other places as well. I realize that multiple plug-ins will reduce the electical life of a charge, but your supercharging and other charging options reduce the anguish of this. Besides, offer some accessories
7) Telsa Gear which will only take power when plugged in. Example, say my wife and I are "parked" at a place where I can plug in overnight. How about another plug for a microwave, or a cooler? Not necesarily a good idea when driving, but when stationary, oh yes. Can the computer in the car store I-Tunes? Movies? I've never asked that. But here is my point...It is an ELECTRIC CAR. Let's expand on that idea. Expresso Machine. Blender. These are things that can go in the F/Trunk or kept in the cabin. Fold down rear seats could offer air mattresses-that can be filled by a portable pump off of a plug in the car. A "really nice" small microwave in a box, pre-measured so it fits someplace in the F/Trunk neatly. AND...an empty water container that can be filled and microwaved. THEN...a small shower. You heat the water, unfold the shower, hang the water dispenser from above, and bingo...shower. Why? Because it will be cool. done? empty it out, fold it up, and go.
I know...water, electricity...well...think about it anyway. Temperature controlled radiant heating, so that if someone sleeps in their car, the thing only comes on to do a brief "temperature adjustment. Stranded in the middel of nowhere? How about a strategic alliance with Orange Joos Solar Charger...private-labeled "Tesla-branded" charger? Better yet, make one through Solar City. And why you are at it, make multiple thin-film 18" x 14" solar cell collectors that direct the energy into the batteries. When you are parked, or when you are driving. I think the whole "all glass panormanic roof" is simply not capitalizing on the fact that this is an ELECTRIC CAR. Use the glass and film for recharging. And where is that technology that I heard about where you can mix micro- photovoltatic cells in with the PAINT and turn the whole exterior of the car into a solar collector. If you don't make it, somebody will. Sell through Tesla Gear thin film photovoltatic recharging products that can be 'Seamlessly' all over the glass and upload the energy while driving. It certainly would increase the range...I'm sure "somebody" has thought of this...yes? Hey, you could hook up a blender to a Tesla. smoothies! Ice in the icebox, fresh fruit, water storage (frunk + trunk = space to put stuff!) And what about the fact that the Model S is really "quiet"? Take advantage of it. Sure, a great stereo. What about playing movies at night? Nobody is suing the Suburbans with the TVs...but maybe you want to have a plug to have an output jack from the car computer, so movies could be played. Netflix? Oh...and please (I haven't checked this out, so if I am way out of line on this...sorry) leave all the snooping, malware, tracking, etc., etc., etc., off of the car and out of the computer-PLEASE. Everybody HATES BIG BROTHER. Because if you don't, lots of people are going to root the computer, whether it voids the warranty or not...why? THIS IS STILL AMERICA. I like to know when someone is peeking up my wife's skirt. So why not give us the courtesy of a "Clean System"? A Tesla should NEVER be used to spy on people...especially at these prices...unless you want to pay us...
8) Faraday Shielding around the batteries. Some day (soon) the health and safety of driving many miles in an electrical car is going to be severely scrutinized-with negative bias from your competitors. Why not be ready? Before "YIKES!" research is used to challenge the safety of the Tesla system, why not put a 3/4" Faraday Shielding around all of the batteries, and the pertinent aspects of the system? Simple, minimal cost, closes the subject, and would probably be worth more than it's cost if marketed correctly.
9) Interior accented with very dark "3 dimensional" wood on the dask and other accented locations. I suggest you consider Wenge, Dark Rosewood, Cocobolo, Ziricote, Desert Ironwood, Macassar Ebony, etc. The obeche wood and lacewood aren't really an option. The only "true" choices that I see are black or carbon fiber.
10) Onboard compressor, that can be used for all sorts of stuff. Make it small, powerful, and versatile. As an option. Low tires to whatever.
11) Run Flat tires.
12) Super Good, very difficult to hack SECURITY SYSTEM.
13) A Special Projects Division. The James Bond Stuff. For people with more money than brains. (Someday I hope to be one of them)
14) A way to "tube something" very quickly into/out of the F/Trunk. Like a handgun...just as an example.
15) What does Elon have "special" on his car?
16) Does the technology exist where you can have a reostat turn up the darkness on the windows, or turn it down to nothing? I think I'd like to have that option.
17) Fully "plumbed" for the best "all band" radar detector and jammer. Not installed of course...jammers are illegal. I just like the idea of having my Tesla plumbed for it.
18) Heads up display? You know...
19) Plumbed for handsfree cell service, with turn on/off at 4 corners of car-managed by the onboard computer. (You've probably thought of this)
20) It would probably be worth looking at what has already happened in the cabins of Rolls Royce, Bentley, Jaguar, and let's not forget the upscale car shows...and the annual SEMA show in Las Vegas.
21) Onboard, four corner JACK SYSTEM. EG:"Flat"? Stop, touch computer, press corner of screen that is flat, batteries drop a bar down and lift the car enough to take the tire off. I like that one...
22) I hate regular windshield wipers. Isn't there something "GEN-2" that you could come up with? They've been the same for 100 years...its time for something that works better. And something that takes the "Planned Obsolescence" out of the equation.
23) And speaking of "Planned Obsolescence"...try not to plan for it, please? I'd like to pass this car down to my family AFTER I die. Think "TRUE COLLECTOR CAR".
24) Onboard Powerwasher-take the container from the Microwave and fill it up, the screw it to the hidden powerwasher-never have a dirty car again-atleast for very long-and for FREE. (I know..hey, I'm brainstorming...)
25) On the "hotter versions": Reduced-Size, Carbon Fiber Rollbar. Oh yes.
26) 5-way "Cross-Belts" to match the black seats.
27) "passive to active" SKY radar system (for those highway 5 Cessnas that lurk about (as well as in a couple of years to detect those Drones that the police departments are now buying). Yep.
HOW MUCH FOR THAT ONE? Link it to the computer. I'll buy it. The first ticket "that you don't get" while doing 125 in a long desolate stretch of highway, will take a big chunk out of the costs....I'll pay $1000 for that option. (Make sure it works)
28) Active Security Device: If someone touches your car while you are either in the hotel, or sleeping in it, a speaker goes off and allows me to record anything I want...like "Step away from my car, you greasy spoon!" This could be activated when turned on via the computer at night when on a road trip. Note: It should not activate if you are taking a nap in the car...
29) Tight weave Carbon Fiber applied over the aluminum panels, eventually replacing the aluminium...and prior to the protective paint.
How's that?

@ Brian

The forum already has the "proof read" option. BaaHahahahaha!!
No fools, No fun !!

Brian H

Sympathies on the typos , this smartphone spellchecker has lots of update potential.

I still like the convertible angle, get the desires flowing for 60k orders a year. As for 500 mile batteries, (new or older battery tech), yeah it's a lot of money, but it would be a one of a kind in the world car; and increases the panache / mystique of the brand. At 25 % margins, 5000 sales a year creates great publicity, 125 million a year in profits, and draws a lot of attention to the less expensive $40k version.

And gas stations, how many are there, a hundred thousand in the U.S. alone? I realize that people don't make their own gasoline at home, but even a thousand supercharger stations is only 1% of the gas stations out there. If Tesla starts pumping out 5 million cars a year, it might start to get a wee bit crowded at those 200 supercharger stations.

As for sponsorships , I guess this also means we are not going to have a NASCAR paint job version of the new roadster with a bunch of green friendly companies paying to have their logis on it like a race car! Darn!

@TV 

That's an awesome list! I especially like the electric auto jack to change tires. As for coffee maker, just build two Kuerig single cup brewers right into the dash for me please, one on each side; also designed to be a cup holder. Only available with air ride suspension though! As for solar panel roof, might not produce much power, but really says visually what the car is all about just make it look super cool. Now for one tiny, little suggestion, You might just want to reinvent that SS nomenclature for the Nordic /  Deutschland and a few other countries.

I would love to be able to attach 3rd party hardware and be able to seamlessly integrate it into the touch screen. It could communicate using GPIO lines, Bluetooth, perhaps wireless or maybe I2C or some other standard bus (dedicated CANbus?). That way all sorts of cool 3rd party items could be added and seamlessly controlled.

Greetings futurist Tesla car imagineers. Thought I continue with some MX ideas, here's some MX pics from Detroit auto show:

http://m.green.autoblog.com/photos/tesla-model-x-detroit-2013/

1) MX, the soccer mom car, would be a good car to have a best of class, "all or none", optional, safety tech group of options. All the latest, plus new items like a horn that sounds if someone is about to hit your vacant car in the parking lot.

2) Currently, no one I know of has a safety system for that screeching 30 ton, rock hauling, dump truck that just lost its breaks right behind you while your sitting like a dead duck in backed up highway traffic. At that point, you might really appreciate a MX with a "rear end collision avoidance tech system". But how would it work ?

Let's start with the AWD option, this means all four wheels have power, now just make all four wheels turntable, 4WT (4 wheels turntable ). With computer chips, sensors, software, & instant torque; reaction and implementation times can be much faster than any human. Plus these systems are a 100% alert, 100% of the time, even working in fog, can you ?

Now back to our sitting duck MX, about to be smashed & rear ended by a failed brakes, 30 ton rock hauler dump truck.---A split second before impact, the MX's car computer senses impact, turns all four wheels sideways and using instant torque, moves the car sideways just before impact and the poor soul in the car in front of you goes to their afterlife, instead of you.

Other possible uses, head on collisions, and parking in super tight parallel parking spots, which soccer moms would appreciate I'm sure.

Now how to pay for it ? NHTSA research grants, and licensing to business partners Toyota & Mercedes.

Things to watch out for, high speed turns with all four wheels turning, might not work out the way you think. And using 4WT to change lanes going down the highway, might freak people out a la pac-man style . Therefore the MX computer disengages it above 5mph. The only exception , the computer using it for avoiding head-on collisions. Every day use for 4WT is parallel parking. Can you imagine the reaction when Tesla test drive specialists show off this parking feature?

I think these features, safety & easier parking for soccer moms, help to differentiate the MX line more and fit in more with the soccer mom & family theme.

Another theme good for the MX ? How about entertainment ? Any ideas ?

A special kind of paint is being developed. This paint has got the ability to turn sunlight into electricity (just like solar panels). This could be extremely helpfull for all Electric Vehicles. Because the will be charging itself during daylight. I think this is a great idea. Don't you think so?

Compact 40kWh pack
20kW on-board charger
Supercharger capable
5 passenger hatchback and coupe body styles
D segment interior space
C segment exterior size
Adjustable right pedal regen up to 0.3g
Heat pump HVAC
Heated seats
Smartphone mount/charger/touch screen
Premium sound system
150 mile EPA range