Fora

WORDT DEEL VAN DE COMMUNITY
REGISTREERINLOGGEN

Tesla Motors 101

I've applied for a job at Tesla and wanted to get more familiar with the company so I created a short guide to Tesla. Any and all responses are appreciated. Enjoy!

Telsa Motors Inc. Overview

1) What is Tesla Motors Inc.?

Tesla Motors, Inc. is an electric vehicles and components manufacturer. Tesla Motors Inc. (Tesla), incorporated on July 1, 2003, designs, develops, manufactures and sells high-performance fully electric vehicles and advanced electric vehicle powertrain components. Tesla went public on June 28, 2010 and is traded on the NASDAQ as TSLA.

2) Who is the CEO of Tesla?

Elon Musk is the CEO of Tesla as well as the co-founder and product architect.

3) Where are Tesla’s headquarters located?

Tesla’s U.S. headquarter is located at 3500 Deer Creek, Palo Alto, CA, USA.
The European headquarter is at Kings Chase, King Street, Maidenhead, SL6 1DP, UK.
The Asia/Pacific headquarter is at 2-23-8, Minami Aoyama, Tokyo, Japan.

4) What kind of vehicles has Tesla produced?

Tesla is the creator of the Tesla Roadster, the Model S and is going to start delivering the Model X in 2014. All vehicles are purely electric and produce zero emissions.

5) Why is an electric vehicle better than a gasoline car?

There are many reasons for going electric; the main reasons are to save money and go green. Gasoline prices are continually on the rise and not only this bad for your wallet, it is also harmful for the environment. In a gasoline car, oil is burned which pollutes the atmosphere, emits green house gases and damages air quality.
Its true that electricity comes from finite sources such as coal and oil; however, electricity also comes from renewable energy sources such as hydro, solar, and wind. Tesla’s cars emit zero emissions and save you time by not needing to visit gas stations to refuel. Tesla vehicles also eliminate the need for oil changes, spark plugs, smog checks and timing belts.

6) Where can I buy a Tesla Roadster?

Unfortunately it is sold out and Tesla has stopped producing the Roadster because it is now focusing on the Model S and Model X. However, you can find a pre-owned Roadster online at the following website: “http://www.teslamotors.com/preowned”

7) Where can I buy a Tesla Model S?

Buying a model S is simple and easy. Go to our website or click here: http://www.teslamotors.com/models/design
First you must design your Tesla vehicle. Afterwards place a deposit of $2,500 USD. Customers have up to two weeks after the deposit is received to change their design. After two weeks the design will be locked in, and our team will begin working on it.

8) How much does a Model S cost?

After the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit, the base price for the Model S with the 60-kilowatt hours (kWh) battery is $62,400. The 85 kWh battery versions are $72,400 and the Model S performance comes with the 85 kWh battery and costs $87,400.

9) What is the difference between the Model S and Model S performance?

The Model S performance uses 85 kWh batteries and has an upgraded drivetrain, interior and suspension. It also has an active air suspension and sport-tuned traction control. The Model S performance has the fastest acceleration of all Model S versions, with a 0 to 60 mph in 4.2 seconds. It also has the greatest top speed of 130 mph. The car has 416 hp and a quarter mile time of 12.6 seconds.

10) How does one charge the Model S?

The Model S plugs into any standard outlet. The Mobile Connector comes standard with two outlet adapters: one for a standard 110 volt outlet and one for a 240 volt outlet. Model S owners are also provided a (AC) J1772 adapter that can be used with public charging stations. There are also Tesla Supercharger stations along the East and West Coast of the U.S. that provide super fast charging for the Model S for free.

11) Where can I purchase a Tesla shirt or winter tires?

All of our Tesla gear and accessories can be found on our website: http://shop.teslamotors.com/

12) What exactly is battery swapping?

Battery swapping allows Model S owners to exchange their batteries for one that is fully charged. The whole process takes only 90 seconds and is done mechanically by robots so the driver doesn’t even need to get out of the car. It will cost about the same as filling up an average 15-20 gallon car with gas, around $60-80. To learn more about battery swapping click on the link: http://www.teslamotors.com/batteryswap

13) Does my Model S have a warranty?

The Model S comes with a 4 year or 50,000 mile (whichever comes first) new vehicle limited warranty. An additional warranty covers the battery; the 60 kWh battery is covered for 8 years or 125,000 miles. The 85 kWh, is covered for eight years and unlimited miles.

14) Where do I go if my car is experiencing a problem?

There are two options for service: you can always bring your Model S to one of our Tesla Service Centers, or you can request a Tesla Ranger to come to you for a small fee. For more information on the location of our Service Centers click here: http://www.teslamotors.com/findus/service

15) Why is Tesla Motors so awesome?

Awesome employees create awesome products and make an awesome company.

Point number 5)

Electric cars are better than ICE cars but not only for environmental benefits. In my mind environmental benefits are secondary.

1) Instant torque
2) Low center of gravity
3) More storage space
4) Quieter
5) Full "tank" every morning

You make a good point. Electric cars have better performance than internal combustion engine vehicles and they are also environmentally friendly. That's why I want a Tesla. Except the price is still too high for an average American.

I would hire you:)

To really scare people into switching to EV you can mention that exhaust gas is basically a poison they can commit suicide with... and that switching, they make the world for their children and grandchildren better.

Remember, the future is the lower priced Tesla for the less affluent. They should be targeted.

This Tesla forum is filled with really nice people; thanks for the response.

That is a great reason for an electric vehicle. ICE cars produce carbon monoxide and other harmful toxic particles into the air.

Looks like we will both have to wait a bit for the Model X since it will be cheaper than the Model S.

@EvaP - That's much harder to do these days with modern cars. But not impossible I suppose. ;-)

Model X cheaper than the S? I wouldn't count on it. I would wager it will actually be more expensive.

Great write up by the way! Very informative and thorough.

Thanks everyone, glad you liked it!

I think the X is expected to be about 10% pricier than the S.

Pricing on the Model X, the portlier "falcon"-doored version of Tesla's all-electric Model S sedan, was initially reported to start at $60,000 and get a top price of $80,000

http://jalopnik.com/5884111/tesla-model-x-price-tops-out-at-100000

Well this isn't great for average class working citizens. Still too expensive.

The X was never meant to be a less expensive automobile. It's meant to maximize Tesla's return on the Model S's platform (aka "skateboard"). It's an easy way to make another vehicle on the same underpinnings. Car companies do this all the time, it's called "Platform Sharing".

Premium SUV's are a huge money maker for manufacturers. Think of it as an Audi Q7, BMW X5 and Porsche Cayenne competitor.

The "average working class citizen"-mobile is still a few years away. In case you missed it, Elon spelled this out in the "Tesla Secret Master Plan"...

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/secret-tesla-motors-master-plan-just-bet...

Also, don't forget that Tesla is shooting to be a "Premium" brand and compete with the likes of AUDI, BMW and Mercedes rather than an economy brand that competes with Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, etc.

Cheers!

I had the idea that the Model X would be cheaper since it was built on the same platform as the Model S. They both use the same "skateboard" design as you pointed out. It's basically a Model S expect with a different exterior and minor alterations on the inside.

No, 10% more expensive. Roomier, more robust.

There will be a GenIII X-over model, too, though. Slightly smaller wheelbase, steel frame.

It probably will be cheaper for Tesla to produce. I wouldn't count on them passing those savings on to customers though. In fact, I hope they take that extra profit and roll it straight into the Gen III platform development. As a shareholder anyway. ;-)

As a potential buyer of an X I'd love it if they made it close to or just under the price of the S. I'm not holding my breath though.

Cheers!

Tesla is a luxury brand so I'm not surprised that the Model X price will remain in the 80-100k range.

Tesla's stock is doing incredibly; almost at 130 per share. I can't believe that two weeks ago it was at 95. Hold it long and it will make you a lot of money. Great job!

Tesla Model S is better than ordinary petrol car because:

- electrical car is safer to drive. It has no petrol cars. During collision no or lesser risk of fire and explosion.

- electrical car is safer to drive. As if car brakes fails, you still have regenerative force which will slow you down.

- in future there is potential for electrical car to travel much higher distances on one charge than on one refill in ICE car. e.g. more than 800 miles on one charge.

- Model S' car battery can be swapped quicker than ICE car will re-fill the tank with dirty fluids and traces of dead animals.

Baku, why do you think the fire risk is reduced in a crash of a battery car vs. ICE? I'd think the chance of fire for both is low, not sure which has the lowest risk of ignition.

@Iowa92x

I think that is self-explanatory. Gasoline is highly flammable.

It is true that gasoline is highly flammable but keep in mind a high voltage battery is deadly as well.

"Battery fires can take up to 24 hours to fully extinguish."
"A burning or heating battery releases toxic vapors. These vapors include H2SO4, oxides of carbon, nickel, aluminum, lithium, copper, and cobalt"

Source: http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/downloads/20130214_ModelS...

X Deutschland Site Besuchen