Forum

Bli med i fellesskapet
RegistrerLogg inn

2013 MS vs Audi S8 Mile High 0-60 Mashup Review (video)

The Fast Lane Car did a mashup review between a MS P and an Audi S8 a mile above sea level:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr7a9ag5IQI

Where did he say it was a P? Looked like a standard 85 to me. A P85 should have been down around 4.2.

I was wondering the same... how did these guys make a P that slow?

I couldn't see the badge, but I think that might be the red piping from the performance black interior.

Approaching it from the other side - has anyone ever seen this kind of acceleration on a S85? As a S85 reservation holder I would be thrilled, but I doubt it :)

The "Performance" wasn't directly stated, I did deduce that from the "top of the line" text and pricing within the video.
I'm sorry, if I was mistaken, wouldn't want to mislead anyone.

The badging on the back is somewhat visible when he does the second run and it looks to be a standard 85.

He says it's the 443 lb-ft torque engine (0:17), hence P85.
Also, it is the P85 interior, as NoMoDinos said (visible at 3:41).

Everything he says matches a P85, except for the time.

@chrisdl @NoMoDinos

Not trying to make a case for the Model S vs the Audi but it is curious as to why FLC couldn't get better times out of a "P". FLC times simply don't compute given the slowest time measured (that I could find) is 4.4 0 to 60. Clearly this is a non-performance Model S – Signature and not a "P". That explains the the seats, the interior, and the pricing ($107,000 almost the exact price for the legacy non-performance Signature). Perhaps I'm wrong - if so, please let me know.

Isn't the dash the carbon fiber and thus P?

Yes, if he had a P85 spec sheet to read off but a standard vehicle then everything he said would match the P85 and the time would match a standard. I think they may have cocked up here.

Maybe it's the street... at one attempt during start, you can hear some pebbles/granulate(?) hitting the wheel well iirc. They should have done that testing on a clean, asphalted road.

Perhaps the test road was on an incline of some sorts?

Well, at 4:13 you can just make out the P85 logo (set the video to 1080p):
Compare with this, for example: http://s3-media3.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/BNba84evmh3z_HU3KLgEQw/l.jpg

That together with the interior (carbon + black seats with red lining) and the fact that he actually says which engine it is should convince most people.

That said, the car doesn't have to win to be a winner.

Don't forget the Audi is AWD. And I also think the road is not very good. It looks pretty rough.

And in addition, he likely had traction control ON. Dragtimes got their best time with traction control off. Still, 4.7 is quite slow for a P85.

They had a serious issue getting a test car from Tesla. Their calls were never returned. I tweeted to Elon why they didn't get a car to test and thought it would be perfect test at high altitude show superior advantage of electric over ICE. But after watching the video, I wish I had not. How can these idiots get such shitty times????

The only thing that I can think of is that they are trying to make Tesla pay for not returning their calls. I don't think they will ever get a test car again. The term Broder comes to mind. I'm so pissed!

Oww... Conspiracy theory! Yes!

Their times got better with each successive run.

I think they should have tested the MS until it stopped getting a better time.

Turbocharged cars suffer significantly less performance degradation with altitude vs non-forced aspirated vehicles. That's why piston aircraft benefit from turbo-normalization with full power available to a certain altitude.

If they tried this with any normally aspirated car the results would have been significantly different.

The calculation is simple. At SL, 30" of air pressure is available; at 1 mile high approx. 24". The power reduction factor is 24/30=0.8.

Given that this appears to be a P85, it could be that his test equipment is wrong in absolute terms for both cars, but the relative performance is correct and the Audi is a few 10ths quicker than the MS.

The P-85 doesn't have to be the fastest car on the planet for Tesla to be a winner. It looked like a P to me but I, too, am surprised by the time. I think I might have an explanation that asks more questions than it answers.

I have had the opportunity to have two loaner P-85's while my regular S is in service. The first one I had was ridiculously fast. The one I have today isn't. It's faster than my S but not nearly as much as the first one. My theory is, like most things, there are variations. This video may simply have gotten a "slow" P. I'm not sure where we got the benchmark of 60, but I'm betting there's not a car faster to 40.

I'm not a fan of the "everyone wins a trophy" school of life, but there are times when simply competing IS a win. They took the best performance model of a great performance company and matched it against the Tesla. Tesla was in the ballpark. Good enough.

I wonder what the state of charge was.

@Brian Range was 179 miles.

Curious about the measurement process.
Does time start when peddle is pressed or when car responds and moves?

Plus, I believe the Audi was revved before releasing the clutch.

He uses a rolling start with the Audi (you can see it on the film).

Model S doesn't work that way unless you gently goose the gas while holding the break (see regen).

brake

On paper, the S8 is 0.3 seconds faster than the P85 (3.9s vs 4.2s).
In their test, the S8 was... wait for it... 0.3 seconds faster than the P85!

I'm not sure what all the fuzz is about. If you want the fastest sedan, don't buy a Tesla.
However, in real life situations, the P85's speed is likely more enjoyable because the car is fast so "effortlessly", if you know what I mean.

With a rolling start, the P also gets 3.9 (Edmunds).

Watching the video, I found it strange that for both the S8 and MS, the times kept improving over the three trials. This suggests to me that the road was not flat and depending on where he started he would get better or worse times. If true than this was not really a fair comparison as the cars could have been starting at different inclines/declines. They should have had a single official starting point and ran all three trials starting from the same point. Only then could we be sure that they were comparing apples to apples.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen