Forum

Bli med i fellesskapet
RegistrerLogg inn

Elon Musk's Hyperloop: It can never crash; it is immune to the weather; fast (about 1200 km/hr), Solar Energy storage, runs 24/7

The most extraordinary part for me is that Elon Musk actually teally thinks that this IS possible. And if this really can be realised, this will change the way of long distance travel forever.

Please share your view, idea, opinion, information etc. with all of us.

got a link to help us read more about it?
Hard to comment on just the title of the thread.

Is it a car? plane? spaceship? boat?

He won't say, exactly. Teleportation may be involved.

Or not.

I think it is an actually thing but Elon says it's not a car, plane, spaceship or boat. I think I saw it in a Doctor Who episode. If he can figure out what causes inertia and/or gravity he may be onto something.

Driver just called to deliver my car so I might continue this later......

Vacuum tube maglev train perhaps?

If not vacuum tube, is that fast and "can never crash" and "leaves when you arrive, so no waiting for specific departure time" I have no idea what that could be. Sounds nuts, if it would be "professor gravity" saying those things I would never believe that.

Speculation:

http://bentilly.blogspot.se/2012/11/speculating-about-hyperloop.html

http://jacquesmattheij.com/elon-musk-and-the-hyperloop

The suggestions are rather similar which might suggest that they are on to something. Or not :-)

Haha.

+1 Timo.

Professor Gravity. Poor soul.

A good friend in New Zealand had a neighbour who genuinely believed he'd discovered free energy from perpetual motion motor, so I'm thinking there a chance PG could be genuine (in the sense that he actually believes all he's claiming in that other thread).

That was about 8 years ago and I haven't seen or heard anything of him or his discovery gain since... no doubt he's still hiding away in his garage perfecting the prototype.

'tis a fine line between genius and mad.

According to Google Maps the distance from Seattle to Miami is 3,355 miles (5,368 km). With the Hyperloop of Elon Musk this distance can be travelled in 4 hours and 30 minutes. Normally, if you would travel by road, this would take 48 hours. So, it is something to look forward to, I think.

I'm sure it can crash. Whatever it is, there will always be a catastrophic failure mode if it carries that much kinetic energy and its made by humans.

I would say the same as you do, but you know, I am sure that Elon Musk would also say the same as you do, yet he does not. And that is the point. He specificly said: "It cannot crash". Maybe he has thought of something that we (all the other humans) never have imagined before. That would really be a breakthrough. Give him some time, let him do all the math that is needed, and someday he will reveal to us what it really is.

The dominant speculation is that it's a pressurized tube, with air moving along with the capsules/cars. Air pockets separate and cushion them, so unless the "loop" is broken and turned into a giant peashooter, nothing can make the cars crash together.

Well, everything can be broken. Earthquake, terrorism. It can crash. I mean, I am sure the concept is super duper safe as Musk might say. But never say never. Those "unsinkable" type quotes are deadly later on.

Only way to make system "never crash" is to have nothing to crash. If system includes people moving at near mach 1, then it can crash.

I agree that anything can break. But as long as it does not break, that would mean that it indeed would not crash either. For example, airplanes are thought to be the safest way of travelling, because a very low % of crashes do occur. My point is that if this % can be minimised to a level that is very close to "0", than wouldn't that be acceptabel as well? I mean to say that we know that airplanes can crash, but still we do keep using them as a means of transportation. Have I made my point here?

Problem is in Elon choice of words. "can never crash" not "near impossible to crash" or "safest transport on earth". "never" is kind of absolute word.

Could be that this is just exaggeration from too enthusiastic speak Elon made.

"Could be that this is just exaggeration from too enthusiastic speak Elon made."

Yes, that is correct. That just might be the case here.

I suspect it's an "inherently safe" design, such that any system breakdown simply results in everything coming to a gentle stop.

That could safe many lives, you know.

And I actually think that Elon Musk is yet too busy with SpaceX and Tesla Motors, that he will not have the time to do much about the Hyperloop, anyway not in the near future. So be it. And let's enjoy what he already has given us.

It sounds like Heinlein's road from the story "The Roads Must Roll". where the roads are like conveyer belts. The statement that "It leaves when you arrive" points to something that is always moving. In the story you step on the outside belt which is moving slow. You work your way to faster and faster belts until you reach the fastest belt then you wait until it's time to revearse the proccess. The belts would be designed so if there was a breakdown the system would slowly shut down.

I can't explain why such a system would be cheaper to build than a bullet train or could store solar energy.

Just a thought.

Sorry Elon, I think you are brilliant and all, but more practical stuff requires your near term attention... If he was talking about a practical and commercially viable electric Cessna plane or something like that I would get excited, but until I see a working model this hyperloop thing is as pie in the sky as commercial fusion power plants - maybe in 80 years but not yet.

Technology progresses incrementally, not in vast leaps. Unless you have been commuting back and forth to the future in your TARDIS or visiting an advanced civilization across the galaxy though your Stargate, reverse engineering stuff you see there, it just does not work that way...

@FLsportscarenth - I think he is focusing on more practical stuff, which is why we haven't heard anymore on this in over a year other than the initial "hey, I have an idea"... As for technology progressing in leaps and bounds, you're forgetting some of the transition points that led to the technology we have today. Once electricity came onto the scene, technology definitely started leaping. Even more so with the invention of the transistor. And when the integrated circuit hit things really started rocketing forward. Sure, right now it all seems incremental (although fast moving) - but all it takes is for the next person to come up with the new electricity or the new transistor and watch it leap again. Perhaps Elon is that guy. We'll see.

@Geek EV Time will tell, always does... For now I am skeptical of the viability and commercial potential of a hyperloop...

I was very skeptical of the survival and growth TM from the time I first noticed it in 2009 till the end of last year. Now I would say that it would be foolish to bet against them.

In 2009 I thought the PHEV ala the Volt would be the big change. I thought BEVs would not be practical for decades, the Model S has proven otherwise.

So anything is possible, but probably getting the FalconHeavy, Model X and S variants out and functioning well makes better use of his time and efforts in the near term.

Agreed. And he said as much about it in his SXSW interview today (linked in another thread).

@ Geek EV

Do you mean a link to a recording of that SXSW interview? I would like to see that recording, because I missed the live stream.

Yeah, that set of one-liner summary comments doesn't really cut it! >;p

No, just the live blog with summaries. I haven't seen a video either.

I think that this Hyperloop involves electromagnetic forces. And it will not have any wheels. Because it will have to go incredibly fast. Just a thought that I would like to share with you guys. Cheers

I had an inkling of what it might be.
It think it might be a supersonic mag-lev inside of a 'tuned pipe'.
I wrote down here:
http://gotohere.com/hyperloop/Hyperloop.html

X Deutschland Site Besuchen