Forum

Bli med i fellesskapet
RegistrerLogg inn

first 1,000 miles driven

First 1,000 miles driven in my Tesla S, yay.
The car has been fine for the most part, and I enjoy driving it a great deal (driven over 400 miles in the last 2 days alone!) but two issues keep popping up (quite literally):
* Squeaky brakes
dunno what's up with that, tesla looked at it once and re-seated brake pads on front wheels, it
didn't help much.
It happens at the last moment when you let off the brake pedal a bit before a complete stop, but it's annoying as hell
* door locks
- passenger side handle extends, but pulling the handle does nothing.
Rebooted the car (press both scroll-wheels at the same time, hold for a couple of seconds),
pulled the handle from the inside, then tried from outside and it started working again
- new bug (that one is a bit scarier): rear passenger door just opened on its own for no apparent reason.
I was pulling into the garage and stopped completely at the time, let's hope it doesn't do that
while I'm driving.
I'm not saying handle extended, it propped itself open as if you pulled the handle.
No one was in the back or touched it from the outside.
Didn't call Tesla yet, wondering if anybody else seen this before.
* BT doesn't pair with the phone
seen it a couple of times, rebooting the phone usually helps, although I had to reboot the car once to fix it

The door handle bugs are a bit worrisome, my kids are usually on back seats, and being completely locked out is another concern.
They are fancy high-tech handles, but I'd really prefer something completely mechanical or at least a mechanical override.
You can still make the handles flush with the body, but that's once piece that has to work 100% of the time and work reliably.

I thought the door had to be opened mechanically? How could it pop open by itself? That is scary.

@michael
No, it's an electrical mechanism.
It pulls down a window a little (since it's a frame-less window) and releases the latch, then the door just opens.
There's nothing holding it in place once the latch is released.
When you close it, the latch engages and the window is rolled up.
I guess that's why they made it electric in the first place (frameless window).

Oh I see, it seemed like it took a lot of force to open it so that's not good if it automatically releases for some reason, Definitely tell tesla about it.

The only one of your door glitches I've seen in my first 1000 miles is the one where sometimes the handles extend but don't respond to a tug to open the door. I've had to resort to locking with the key fob and trying again; so far it's taken no more than two tries.

sergiyz,

I have nissan GT-R and my high performance brakes make the exact same noise at the exact same time. Maybe that's why the brakes are able to stop a 4700lb car in 110ft.

As for the other stuff, sounds like software bugs that need to be ironed out.

Thanks for keeping us updated on any owner problems.

P85 #8282

Sergiyz - on the rear door issue -

1. Did it just unlatch, or did the door also spring out half an inch?

2. Car was stationary, right?

3. This happened spontaneously, right?  

4. Were you able to hear the latch motor actuate when it happened?

5. What, if anything had you operated on your door or the lock system just prior?

This can be a faulty handle sensor, or a firmware bug, or even supply noise that aliased the sensor input.  For example, you open one door and that glitches the sensor for another.  The info above would help TM diagnose it.

As far as safety, I think the firmware overrides door operation above a certain speed, so it's unlikely this bug would manifest while driving. (Sounds like no one has seen this either).

The servo doors are an engineering flourish that doesn't register with some customers, but is very cool to others.

It is not surprising to me that there are teething issues wherever TM has innovated.

It's quite important that you tell TM about it so they can chase the bug down and kill it.

From what I've seen so far, TM has shown a strong commitment to robust design and execution. They seem very motivated to make these points rock solid, so I would think they'd be quite interested in understanding your experience.

It's sounds like you enjoy the car a lot. In my experience, when a product achieves greatness, we tend to be more annoyed when minor points distract from the joy of having all its virtues.

Thanks for post, and very interested to hear if you have any other observations.

You had a poltergeist passenger, which let itself out? Any mysterious noises and lights in your house?
<8-0
:D

Perhaps just Nikola checking out his namesake? I'm sure he approves.

@mark k

The car was stationary, the door unlatched and sprung out about half an inch.
I've checked the manual, all doors unlock once you put the selector in the park position, but are not supposed to prop themselves open.
So, what I did exactly is pulled into my garage and put the selector in the "park" position.
New development - the front passenger door won't open from the outside at all.
It's now stuck for good.
The door handle extends every time, but the door won't open when pulled.
I can now only open it from inside.
Rebooting the car and open/close with the fob (tried it multiple times) didn't help.
Tesla phone call time, now that I can reproduce it at will...
The rear door didn't open on its own again yet.

p.s. my energy consumption went thru the roof in the last couple of days, feds probably think it's an illegal growing op ;)

In terms of the door opening on its own, I say there's a ghost in the machine!

I wonder how many lines of code handle those doors, plenty of space for ghosts there ;)

@sergiyz - in one of the videos @cinergi posted over at TMC it shows the driver door popping open when he unlocks the car using the fob - that is the door doesn't just unlock, the door opens on its own. Seems like yours is not an isolated occurrence.

@sergiyz

I've read that the doors on the Model S take a little more force to close than some others. Is there any chance that the last person to close the door didn't quite get it all the way shut?

oh, another observation - when anybody opens a charging port by pushing a button on the charger (either Chargepoint or native Tesla), the charging port opens on the next car too !
I've seen it both at the factory (service center) with a bunch of cars lined up for charging (HPWCs spaced about 7-10ft from each other), and seen it on my own car when someone next to me pushed the button on the Chargepoint cable, and my charging port opened up.
There's a warning on the console that your port is open, but I was a bit surprised to see how sensitive it was.
I thought it only worked from inches, but apparently it will pick it up from several ft.

That actually helps a lot. The fact that the passenger door sensor is stuck in an inoperative state will help TM identify the failure and replace the errant component.

Given that two different sensor-read failures seem to have occurred on different doors, (one didn't sense, and the other falsed) it seems like a system-level issue.

There is a microcontroller that manages the central locking system. Although it's possible there were multiple sensor failures, the probablilty is much larger that an element common to both doors is at fault. This points more to the central locking module.

It could be a simple defective part, or a more subtle problem with inadequate noise immunity, or an abnormal load on a common bus making communication marginal (if for example, each door is a node on an I2C or SPIO serial bus).

Please query the TM tech when he fixes it, and let us know what the cause was.

Very interested to see that TM gets to the root cause and quashes it.

key is how quickly Tesla resolves this and if its a manufacturing flaw.

vouteb, quickly enough to have the solution in place before they start shipping cars to Europe! ;-)

Hi Sergiyz driven 1100 miles since I got the car ( 9 days ago) 120 miles per day commute, have the same issues with the brakes and the Blue tooth????

Called Tesla on Monday, stopped by at Fremont service center (factory) same day and was out in about 90 minutes.
They've replaced the door handle and sensor on the front passenger door, and it has been working fine since.
The brakes still make the same noise, but they said they know of multiple similar cases, and it's probably related to the fact that you're barely using the brakes because of regen so they don't have a chance to burn in like on an ICE car.
We'll see if the annoying sound goes away, I think it's getting better (at about 1,300 miles now).
On my way to Tesla my instrument panel started displaying random artifacts (video memory corruption), and maps got stuck on the 17" display (car position is not updating, navigation doesn't work).
It looks like the navigation app has some kind of a bug that corrupts video memory on the instrument panel.
We had to separately reset the instrument panel (two top buttons on the steering wheel) and the main display (two scroll wheels) to make it all work again.
This is the first time it happened, not a major issue yet. You can reset them both in-flight, btw.
Another issue - I've noticed the valve on one of the tires is leaking air (hissing sound as air leaves the tire).
Turned out to be a loose valve. They've tightened it, and it's fine now too.

The Tesla guys are absolutely great, painless experience and no running in circles.
If there's an issue they fix it on the spot.
Hopefully I don't have to visit them too often although I enjoy seeing new cars lined up on their parking lot (tens of them) being prepped for delivery.

sergiyz;
RE: brake noise. At the risk of being too obvious, why not do some 60-0 runs and see if it goes away? Or drive for a day or two with regen off?

What about the rear passenger door? That's the one that spontaneously popped open according to your initial post. What did they say about that?

As a non-native speaker, I wonder what might be opposite the rear passenger door? The rear driver's door? ;-)

@Volker.Berlin
Indeed, there is the rear, passenger side door and the rear, driver side door.

JohnQ, you cheated by adding "side" to the expression. Now it makes sense but isn't half as funny as without. I presumed you Americans had backseat drivers... (which you have, at least in your language, I know!) ;-)

@Volker.Berlin, yup, I definitely cheated! Now I'm waiting for Brian H to swoop in and tell me that the "driver side" should be hyphenated to "driver-side" or some such.

@Volker.Berlin you crack us up! :-)

There's a true rear driver door only for autonomous vehicles.
;p

Karosseri

Oops, sorry. Wrong thread.

I experienced the stray pixel issue on the speedo display that was cleared up with a reboot of that display (pressing the two upper steering wheel buttons at the same time).

I also experienced the Bluetooth not connecting issue. This persisted for about 4 days but was cleared up by a reboot of the console screen (pressing roller buttons on steering wheel at same time for some seconds).

I have experienced not being able to open the driver's side door - but it only lasts about 3 seconds - most of the time it's almost instantaneous that I pull on the handle and the door unlatches. But on occasion, I get a delay. 3 seconds doesn't seem that long, but it is a "frantic" 3 seconds there I'm thinking I won't be able to get in.

I've also experienced the charge door not opening in a timely fashion when pressing on the charge cable button - this occurred twice over about 20 charge events (about 10% of the time).

I do hear the brake noise a slow speed, but also attributed it to the fact that I rarely brake hard - I've noticed rust colored spots on the brake discs - could be a contributor to the squeak?

Just today I confirmed the USB ports work and I can play music from a USB thumb drive - quite a nice feature.

By the way, I've driving about 1,100 miles over the last 2.5 weeks that I've owned my P85 Model S.

dahtye;
See above; try breaking in the brakes! Blast the rust out. Seems like that might be worth doing monthly.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen