Bli med i fellesskapet
RegistrerLogg inn

Fremont test drive event 6/24

I received an e-mail invitation to the test drive event in Fremont on 6/24 a couple of weeks ago. When I called Tesla today to inquire about reserving a time I was told that space was limited to 700 and since my res # is 4684 it was unlikely I would get a spot.

I understand that space is limited and it makes sense to offer test drives in order of reservation numbers but why did they bother sending me the invite?

Hurry up and wait.

Weird. I'm P2821 and I haven't received an invite yet. I live 30 minutes away from Fremont so I definitely plan to go.'s hoping I get one this week.

I wonder how many of the first 5000 reservations numbers are located in the Bay Area? That would probably determine if I'll get a test drive too (P4157) - probably not. But I think that info is on this forum somewhere. Anyone know where to find it?

I'm not so sure that many have gone out yet. I'm sig 527 and also live in the Bay Area (about 42 mi from the plant). I haven't received an invite yet either.

I was wondering when they'll start sending out emails for the test drive and how they plan to sort through reservation holders in each neighborhood as well as those that would not mind to fly in. I would imagine that a low reservation holder reserves the right to defer his test drive but be sent an invite irrespective of his location and let it be his prerogative to decide if he'll wait for a test drive at a closer location or decides to fly out.
I, for one would jump at the opportunity to go test drive the Model S today anywhere in the States.

We will begin sending out Fremont invites in sequence order to Reservations Holders this week. Several hours after the first invites go out we will send out additional invites, again in sequence order. This will continue until all 700 Fremont test drive slots are filled. Next week we will begin sending out invites for the Los Angeles Get Amped Tour stop. We will send out invites in sequence order again, starting with the lowest number Reservation Holders who have not yet taken a test drive. We will continue to send out more invites until all Los Angeles test drive slots are filled. We will do this same process for each stop on the tour. As a Reservation Holder, you will automatically get an invitation (based upon sequence number) to each test drive tour stop until you reserve a test drive.

Is it just me, or does this test drive reservation system seem a bit unfair? By unfair I mean, how can we plan our lives without knowing in a little more advanced way, when we will be able to test drive. I live in Northern California and have plans both the 23rd and the 24th. I can cancel those plans, but need to know what day to cancel them on. And because my wife is involved, she is less than understanding about this. I promised her that by mid-week we should know something. So far, nada. And my number is P83 so I should be in one of the early waves of invitations. Tesla, PLEASE get on with it before my wife has my head!


Over 1000 people have to be given the chance to select 1 of the 700 spots before you can get your chance. There's probably a fair chance you can get a slot, but you'll be among the last groups notified.

I think the issue really for me and I'm also trying to echo Willam9's words: Have the invitations started going out? If yes, how does Tesla plan to quickly filter out those who will not accept the invitation and hence extend the invitation to the next person in line. Would it not be simple to just create a web form and ask everyone to show interest by date and location preference. Then they can apply whatever sequencing they deem fit.

It seems like it would make sense for reservation holders to self select the test drive location (and perhaps provide a 2nd and 3rd choice if desired), and then assign the reservation times in sequence order by location, only for those who have selected their preferred location(s).

The way it's being done now seems silly. They are holding slots open for people who may never respond because they want to test drive in that location.

The SF Bay area gets another chance at test drives on July 14 & 15.

If the invites go out in "pulses", then first-come first-served sort of works. Dithering is definitely discouraged!

I think the OP mentioned an email announcing the test drives. The real invitations will follow, as Brian H mentioned, in pulses.
It is just fair to inform your customers of the planned procedure ahead. Not all of them visit the forums.

I was wondering, because both my wife and I would want to test drive the car, whether we would need two reservation slots or would just one suffice?

I don't expect my number to come up anytime soon. But, I am just curious to know.

~ Prash.

I've made it clear to my Tesla sales rep that I need to attend the LA event. My 30 days are up July 6th and I will not sign my final paperwork (which I still haven't received 1 week following submission of my configuration) until I lay eyes on and drive the car. I'm flying in from KC and need to make airline and hotel reservations. 2 weeks notice (as of tomorrow) is not a lot to ask, particularly for those of us that are willing to take the time and spend the money to fly in. I am Sig #576, so according to their reported protocol, I should be in with no problem (if they, in fact, provide slots based on reservation order). However, they will not guarantee me a slot at this time, which makes me wonder if there is uncertainty within Tesla as to how they will handle the invitation process. I'm coming in with a friend of mine (#578). It's a little frustrating when they can't be more forthcoming with what amounts to upwards of $220K worth of orders (for the 2 of us). Just needed to vent after a few days of fruitless communications with TM!

My reservation number is 3199. If we don't get to drive the car and get to look at colors and optionsby the time our turn comes up, we'll cancel. There is no way we are going to spend $100000.00 without a test drive!

That's kind of silly. You don't have to cancel your reservation if you haven't had a test drive when your first configuration date arrives. Tesla has made it abundantly clear that you can elect to use a one-time DEFERRAL of your configuration date to a date of your choosing (re: after you finally get to test drive it), and I would suggest doing that instead, as your deposit is still 100% refundable. Don't give up so easily!

btw - does anyone know if the email invitations have started yet?

@rd2, I have heard from the grape vine that they will go out very VERY soon. :)

My rep just said they are out. I'm not sure if it's a mass email or rolling email.

You get to carry along any 3 passengers of your choice on your test drive. I think a TM "handler" sits in the co-pilot's seat, tho'.

Yes, your co-pilot is a Tesla specialist who will "make sure all your questions are answered and you get the most out of your time behind the wheel."

"... and that you don't drive into any lampposts or mess up the bumper with pedestrian blood."

"... and that you don't make a break for it and light out for the Mexican border."


I am in the same boat as you. I am Sig #550 so my decision is due within 3 weeks now. I am trying to get an invite to the LA event. With numbers as low as ours, I can believe that we won't get a chance to test drive one, but I need to make some plane reservations soon! Plus, I am not ordering a $100k car without driving it first. I agree with you that it is quite frustrating since I was told when I upgraded to a Signature from a P that it would be "no trouble getting a test drive before ordering" the car.

My TM rep told me that he passed my info on to the Customer Experience Dept. (I think that is the name of it), and that someone would contact me by next Monday regarding the L.A. event. Still haven't heard anything yet though.

I have already come to grips with the fact that I may have to drop down to a Production model rather than a Signature just so I can drive one before committing to it. At least I will save a few $$$$ by leaving off the options I don't want. Plus, I should still be able to get the car before the end of the year - although that may depend on whether the gray leather really comes in by November. I was thinking of Blue exterior / Gray interior.

Let's hope that they get things worked out so that "cautious" people like us can drive the car before we finalize our orders!

@Brian, I bet if you decided to "leg it" TM would be able to shut you down remotely. BTW, that would be a nice feature to have and it'll help reduce insurance cost.

@bhs1, do you also have a regular P reservation or would you drop to the end of the line?

jbherman, bhs1,

If you pull your one-time deferral option, you sure don't drop to the end of the line. Actually I expect that you even keep your Signature slot, rather than being downgraded to "P". Check with your contact at TM to make sure.

In any case, I cannot see what your complaint is about. You can either have one of the first cars off the line, which is a remarkable privilege and which inherently implies that you cannot have a test drive, because there are no cars for test drives, because the first cars off the line go to people like you! Or you can choose to have a test drive before committing to your reservation, in which case you have to wait until the people that are willing to trade their test drive for getting the first cars off the line, have their cars.

Seems that Tesla actually offers all imaginable options in that regard, but too much choice seems to be tough for some. Of course you want to have your cake and eat it too, who doesn't?

Prezakt and logical. I get the impression many people don't understand the "have your cake and eat it, too" adage. It refers to the desire to still have the cake there and waiting to be eaten after you already ate it, of course.

In this case, it comes down to:

1. Have a well-vetted product
2. Be among the first to try the product.

Pick one.

Volker. Berlin,

If I pull my one-time deferral option, I drop into the P6000s, according to my rep. I would not still be able to get a Signature.

My complaint, as you so call it, is that the test drive events are planned, there is a reported protocol for invitation, my #576 falls within the range of invitations, and unlike your portrayal, there are cars available for testing. There is no inherent implication to the contrary, as you put it. Yet they will not confirm that I will be invited. That's all I ask. This isn't Germany where you can hop on a train and be anywhere in the country within a couple of hours for a reasonable amount of money. I live 1400 miles from the event. Even with air travel, each leg is a half day experience, at minimum. I have to miss a day of work, be away from my family for a weekend, book a flight, and reserve a hotel. Airline prices notoriously increase within 1-2 weeks of the travel date. The fact that I'm willing to travel, demonstrates my personal commitment and leap of faith for this car. For what it's worth, I have already booked travel and hotel, without an invitation.

While it may be a "privilege" to get one of the first cars, spending $110K on a leap of faith is foolish. Although I can afford this car, with all the options I'd like, I don't throw my money away sight unseen. That would be irresponsible. While you provide a wealth of information to this board, I'm not sure why you feel it necessary or your right/responsibility to opine on every one else's situation or beliefs. Whether you intend it, or not, it comes off as arrogant. It'll work out for me in the end, whether you approve of my opinion or not.

And to you too Brian H ;^P

X Deutschland Site Besuchen