Forum

Bli med i fellesskapet
RegistrerLogg inn

General Motors plan for $30,000 with 200 mile battery (from Wall Street Journal)

from the article: "Doug Parks, GM's vice president of global product programs, disclosed the effort on Monday at GM's battery laboratory and test facility in Warren, Mich., but didn't say when the car would be available. He said while the technology is available now, the cost of the batteries remains too high to be able to pull off the feat today."

So, they don't know when yet, but I commend their efforts, and I hope the put up a true Tesla competitor. Because if they can do that too, Tesla's master plan will come together, and we ALL breathe a bit easier.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142412788732398130457907949290248263...

It will probably turn out even better. GM will make a crappy car, but help establish the charging network!

GM plans to make a 30k car with 200 mile range, except for the fact that they have no idea how to do it.

Big automakers need to stop making hybrids and need to start making pure EV's. The model S has shown the world that EV's are superior and are the future. I think Tesla's success has finally made some big auto companies realize that they need to develop EVs or Tesla is going to eat their lunch.

Elon has issued his warning. The majors declined to either co-operate or compete in the true EV marketplace, so Tesla will do it alone until they wake up and smell the coffee.

... or GM could do what Toyota and MB have already done - contract with Tesla for the drive train ...

Doug Parks, the GM VP said a 200 mile range isn't enough to cure people's range anxiety. What commitment GM has to electric vehicles! What about new charging technology? I can't wait until GM goes bankrupt again. Short GM go long Tesla.

"Doug Parks, the GM VP said a 200 mile range isn't enough to cure people's range anxiety."
Well, he's right.

You'd also need some sort of ubiquitous network of charging stations that could top you up in no more time than you'd want to stop anyway for a snack or a toilet break. This is a tough one to crack though since charging rate on batteries is currently very limited and quite complicated to get fast enough to really matter.

If only someone would really bite into that problem and show us the way forward for long-range electric travel … preferably by way of example but that may be hoping for too much I suppose …

GM is a joke.

Bent, ? Not sure what you mean "show us a way for long range electric travel". Tesla has done that while everyone else is still dicking around with last years hybrid beasts.

The S and the super charger network leave everyone else's technology in the dust. I don't think, except some Tesla S owners, that the rest of the world has yet figured out how big this change is. The technology actually works.

I find I feel sorry for the drivers that are clueless that you don't need a 3 inch smoke stack sticking out of your car to move around. I have experienced the future and I like what I see.

The USA should have let GM go bankrupt. The big automakers are going to get crushed by Tesla. Their cars aren't going to sell so well when their technology is five years behind Tesla.

GM could recover the design of the EV-1 (or EV-2 if they had one), and with improved battery technology, sell that one.

I can see GM doing this, but like others here, agree that the charging network would need to be built as well. Now, if GM agrees to license Tesla tech and use the Tesla SuperCharger Network, then THAT is when the rest of the world will see that Tesla is here to stay. (and justify the stock price that currently hit 188)

Repeating what was said before (in other threads), GM could have been the leader in this years ago since they had the EV-1 20 years ago. If they kept on the R&D to build new generations of that car, as well as a charger network, then they could be ahead of where Tesla is today (or perhaps been in a position where the founders of Tesla would not need to start up in the first place). But that didn't happen, they killed the electric car, and here we are with GM saying they'll come out with a new one.

I sure hope they do make a good one, because that will be better for ALL of us.

I'm excited by the prospect of another manufacturer coming out with real competition for Tesla with a longer range EV. The reason it's not good enough is because there is no coherent plan for how to charge them. Tesla has the Supercharger network. What would other manufacturers have? Nothing. A scattering of chargers put in by government programs, most in inconvenient locations for travel, most L2 and not fast chargers, and most not placed in a way that makes road trips possible.

Some think the Supercharger network is just a sales gimmick. I think it's not. I dare say it will be the driving factor in the further development and sales of EVs.

Sure, some of the west coast is pretty well covered by CHAdeMO chargers. But there are a lot more states than just California in the USA, and no CHAdeMO equipped cars either in production or even in development that are designed to make long trips. It will be a long time before anything can compete with Tesla on this important measure.

These are the kinds of things that make Tesla awesome, and what makes all the other manufacturers...well...not.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen