Forum

Bli med i fellesskapet
RegistrerLogg inn

Will Tesla ever introduce an EV with only 2 seats, but less performance than the Tesla Roadster, at a price of 20,000 Euro?

Many people drive/commute alone in their cars, on a daily basis. If you put a camera alongside the road, and you look at the cars that drive by, you will notice that in many cars there is only 1 person (driver) sitting in the car. But what % are we talking about? I think that in 35% of the cars that drive by there is only 1 person (driver) sitting in the car. And if we ad 1 person (the passenger sitting next to the driver) to the situation, then that % of cars get even higher. The total % of cars that have 1 person (only the driver) or 2 persons (the driver and the passenger) sitting inside the car, will be about 65%.

Most of these people do not need a car that has the performance of a Tesla Roadster, and they surely cannot afford a Tesla Roadster (price). They need to be able to commute on a daily basis. In most of the cases that will be on their own or with just 1 passenger sitting next to them. And also these people do not need many options on their EV. The most important factor is the range. It would be great if this EV would have a range of about 500 km, in normal driving circumstances.

I don't think Tesla can build a car for that cheap a price without severely impacting the car's range.

Then too, Tesla isn't trying to be known as 'cheap' cars. They're more inclined to be at the performance end of the spectrum.

Nei

Vawlkus;
TM has performance tech, but the market aim is volume sales -- by definition "cheap". What it has the capacity/potential to do is provide much more for "cheap" than is presently (or prospectively on the current ICE track) available or in prospect.

Tesla Motors assisted Daimler with the power train of the "Smart Fortwo Electric Drive". Now this little car is available for buyers here in Europe. This little car has a battery pack of 17.6 kWh and a range of 145 km. Top speed is 125 km/hour. The weight of the car is 920 kg. The size of the car: 2695 mm (length) x 1559 mm (width) x 1565 mm (hight).

Elon Musk has said that there will be a certain momemt in the future when we will be driving around in only EV's. That would mean that all of the cars in all of the segments will be an EV. Does this mean that Tesla Motors wants to have a Tesla car on offer in each of the segments? From the smallest to the largest?

Please tell me that Tesla can do (much) better than the "Smart Fortwo Electric Drive"?

If Tesla ever makes a small car that holds only two I hope they do it more like Persu than Smart. IE. two people in tandem instead of side by side. I could buy that to make my daily commuting and Model S or GenIII sport car for a bit longer trips or when I have a bit more than grocery bag to carry.

IOW I want the small car to be fun as well as economic and practical. Tandem configuration allows all that.

I don't believe that Tesla ever does those however. Or at least not in near future (maybe after they have bought bankrupt-ready GM, Ford, VW, BMW, MB, Toyota, Nissan etc. and turned them to BEV too).

I remember Elon Musk saying he wants to introduce 1 Tesla car every year. Well, in that case there could be such a small Tesla car in the near future (before 2020).

one car every year. model x was introduced in early 2012. that means if gen 111 is the next introduction ,it should be soon. cant wait.

A lower price point on the Model X would sell many more in the US than a commuter car (In the luxury vehicle market). Even though I am one of those waiting for the Gen III (if it is affordable), I don't want to have to ride in a friends car if I need to give 2 people a ride. Most people think along those lines, thus 5 seat commuter cars sell very well.

up north;
Elon was including variants, like a cabriolet Model S. He has promised exciting announcements this quarter.

@Brian H
Wow, that's good to know. And that's sooner than I would have expected to be hearing exciting announcements from Tesla Motors. But I am willing to wait a bit longer, if these exciting announcements are delayed for any reason.

It doesn't really have to be a EV with only 2 seats. As long as this EV is small, that would be OK as well. For example take a look at a picture of the Volkswagen Up. Google it.

The Volkswagen Up will be available as an EV as well in 2013.

General Motors will start selling the Chevrolet Spark EV in the end of 2013. But I do not think that Tesla Motors are going to release an EV in that segment any time soon (before 2020)?

By the way, the Chevrolet Spark EV will be priced in the US at 32,500 USD before incentives. The price for Europe has not yet been announced.

Sparks don't last long.

What I actually wanted to say is that Tesla Motors will put an EV (GEN III) in the market which will be about the same price as the Chevrolet Spark EV, but it will be technologically superior to the Chevrolet Spark EV.

X Deutschland Site Besuchen