Zero Emissions. Zero Compromises.
Tesla's advanced electric powertrain delivers exhilarating performance. Unlike a gasoline internal combustion engine with hundreds of moving parts, Tesla electric motors have only one moving piece: the rotor. As a result, Model S acceleration is instantaneous, silent and smooth. Step on the accelerator and in as little as 3.0 seconds Model S is traveling 100 km per hour, without hesitation, and without a drop of gasoline. Model S is an evolution in automobile engineering.
Electric All-Wheel Drive
Dual Motor Model S is a categorical improvement on conventional all-wheel drive systems. With two motors, one in the front and one in the rear, Model S digitally and independently controls torque to the front and rear wheels. The result is unparalleled traction control in all conditions.
Conventional all-wheel drive cars employ complex mechanical linkages to distribute power from a single engine to all four wheels. This sacrifices efficiency in favor of all weather traction. In contrast, each Model S motor is lighter, smaller and more efficient than its rear wheel drive counterpart, providing both improved range and faster acceleration.
Autopilot allows Model S to steer within a lane, change lanes with the simple tap of a turn signal, and manage speed by using active, traffic-aware cruise control. Digital control of motors, brakes, and steering helps avoid collisions from the front and sides, as well as preventing the car from wandering off the road. Model S can also scan for a parking space, alert you when one is available, and parallel park on command.
Autopilot features are progressively enabled over time with software updates. The current software is 7.0, adding automatic steering and parallel parking. Read more in our Tesla blog.
Automatic steering with traffic aware cruise control
Active sensors combined with GPS and high resolution digital maps comprise a mutually reinforcing system that pilots Model S along the highway, staying within your lane, even in stop and go traffic. Real time feedback from the Tesla fleet ensures the system is continually learning and improving upon itself.
A double tap of the cruise control lever and Model S pilots itself with a lane.
Changes lanes with a simple tap of the turn signal.
Scans for a parking space and self parks on command.
Highest Safety Rating in America
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Model S is designed from the ground up to be the safest car on the road, as proven by a 5-star rating in all categories of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) crash test. Much of its safety is owed to the unique electric drivetrain that sits beneath the car's aluminum occupant cell in its own subframe. This unique positioning lowers the car's center of gravity, which improves handling and minimizes rollover risk, and replaces the heavy engine block with impact absorbing boron steel rails.
Inspired by an endurance athlete
Tesla's design and engineering teams have gone to extraordinary lengths to ensure that air flows smoothly above, around and below Model S to reduce drag, which in turn maximizes battery range. The smart air suspension lowers the car's height at highway speeds to reduce its frontal area. Electronically controlled vents stay closed until sensors detect that cooling is necessary. The front bumper routes air uninterrupted beneath the battery's flat skidplate and past the rear diffuser. The result is a seven seat sedan with the stance of a coupe and supercar aerodynamics.
Zero profile door handles
Model S door handles are a work of art. When a key is in close proximity, they automatically extend. When no longer in use, they retract into the body of the car, creating a seamless surface for air to pass over.
Hidden in plain sight
Scan the streamlined body panels and you'll discover that Model S lacks a fuel door. Approach the driver's side taillight with a charging connector and the hidden charge port automatically opens. The charging connector cannot be removed until Model S is unlocked.More about charging
Built around the driver
Model S is a driver's car. The cabin combines meticulous noise engineering with Tesla's uniquely quiet powertrain to obtain the sound dynamics of a recording studio. The gem of the interior is the 17 inch touchscreen, which is angled toward the driver and includes both day and night modes for better visibility without distraction. It puts rich content at your fingertips and provides mobile connectivity so you can easily find your destination, favorite song or a new restaurant.
The Model S 17 inch touchscreen controls most of the car's functions. Opening the all glass panoramic roof, customizing the automatic climate control, and changing the radio station all happen with a swipe or a touch. The touchscreen, digital instrument cluster, and steering wheel controls seamlessly integrate media, navigation, communications, cabin controls and vehicle data.
- Media AM/FM/HD radio, online radio, on-demand Internet radio, Bluetooth®, and USB audio devices
- Controls Driving personalization, climate controls, and cabin controls
- Camera High definition backup camera, optimized for visibility and safety
- Calendar Calendar synchronization for daily schedule and tap to navigate
- Map Simple, intuitive Google Maps™ with real time traffic information
- Navigation Smart routing that adjusts for real time traffic conditions
- Energy Real time energy consumption and range estimation
- Phone Bluetooth-enabled, voice controlled handsfree phone system
Model S periodically receives over the air software updates that add new features and refresh the touchscreen look and feel.
- Free long distance travel using Tesla's Supercharger network
- Mobile connector with 110 volt, 240 volt, and J1772 adapters
- 17" capacitive touchscreen with digital instrument cluster
- Onboard maps and navigation with free updates for 7 years
- Automatic keyless entry
- WiFi and Internet connectivity
- Mobile app remote control
- Automatic Xenon headlights
- Retracting door handles
- One touch power windows
- High definition backup camera
- Rain sensing automatic windshield wipers
- GPS enabled Homelink
- Hands free talking with Bluetooth
- Voice activated controls
- AM, FM, and Internet streaming radio
- Available Ultra High Fidelity Sound package with XM radio support
- Electrochromatic mirrors
- Power folding, heated side mirrors with memory
- Two USB ports for media and power
- 12 volt power outlet
- Twelve way power adjustable, heated front seats with memory and driver profile
- Available subzero weather package with heated rear seats and wiper blade and windshield washer fluid defrosters
- Front trunk (no engine!), rear trunk, and 60/40 folding rear seats with 63.3 cubic feet of storage
- Daytime running lights
- Available Smart Air Suspension for raising and lowering ride height
- Eight airbags for driver and passenger heads, knees, and pelvis plus two side curtain airbags
- Electronic stability and traction control
- Four wheel antilock disc brakes with electronic parking brake
- Front and side collision avoidance
- Blind spot warning
- Lane departure warning
- Parking sensors
- Speed limit display
- Three second row LATCH attachments for child seat installations (accommodates three child seats simultaneously: two with LATCH and one with top tether and belt)
Autopilot Convenience Features add
- Traffic-aware cruise control
- Automatic lane centering and changing
- Parking space detection
- Self parallel parking
- Automatic high/low beam headlights
Premium Interior and
- Fit and finish refinements, including the use of higher quality materials and ambient lighting
- Power liftgate
- Fog and cornering lights
- Lighted door handles
- Interior accent lighting